• REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS:

Your username here MUST MATCH your XenForo username (connected to your XF license).

Once you have registered here, then you need to start a conversation at xenforo.com w/Bob and provide the following:
    1. Your XenForo License Validation Token
    2. The Domain Name associated with the License
    NOTE: Your account will be validated once ALL requirements are verified/met. Thank you for your patience.

Implemented Refine by (filtering by custom fields)

Bob

Developer
Staff member
SC 2.9.0 has Filtering (called Refine by) of Custom Item Fields. Its a system that I developed for RMS (Review Management System) that replaces Advanced Field Search (which was always designed as a temporary system).

The Refine by system works similar to how sites like Amazon and TripAdvisor work (click on a filter and it filters the results right on the page).

Selection_150.png

Selection_151.png

Selection_152.png

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Any chance you could tell us how to get this working?

Thank you! :)

Any chance you could tell us how to get this working?

Thank you! :)
Nothing has changed as far as making a field searchable. Custom Field Searching has been in Showcase for several years now. When you create a Field, there is a General Options setting that makes the field Searchable. That determines whether the field will be displayed in the Refine By system.

Note: This only applies to following 4 Field Types (Drop down selection, Radio Buttons, Check Boxes and Multiple-choice drop down selection).

Selection_247.png

Is there any option to setup the sidebar show up? I tried to set the custom fields searchable and display as filter like the picture above but the filter didn't show up, for both Refine By (sidebar) as well as the Refine Results by (at the top of list). I tried on Xenforo 1.5.16 + default theme.

Thanks

Its Automatic (if there are Field Types that can be FILTERED via the Refine By system). Only certain types of fields can be filtered.

Only Check Box, Radio and Multi Select work with the Refine By System.

These field types don't work with the Refine By system:
  • Rating Fields
  • Date Fields
  • Text Input Fields

Its Automatic (if there are Field Types that can be FILTERED via the Refine By system). Only certain types of fields can be filtered.

Only Check Box, Radio and Multi Select work with the Refine By System.

These field types don't work with the Refine By system:
  • Rating Fields
  • Date Fields
  • Text Input Fields

Yes, I tried only with Radio

Do you have the Permission "Search Custom Fields" set to allow? If not, you'll need that permission set.

Since I don't know, I have to ask... are you viewing a Category that is associated with that specific Custom Item Field?

This is something that I'd need Admin CP access to help troubleshoot (send me an inbox with login credentials).

Yes we do set the permission to all users and the field should apply to all categories. I have started a conversation with you. Please check the details in there.

Thanks

Found an interesting thing. The Refine system showup in Categories but not in the Home page. I wonder the problem may caused by our customization. Another problem is the "More Choices" doesn't work. Will dig more.

The Refine system showup in Categories but not in the Home page.
That is because the Refine By system is a Category Page feature. Its not available on Showcase Home or any other Showcase Pages. Its a Category only feature.

Back