• REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS:

Your username here MUST MATCH your XenForo username (connected to your XF license).

Once you have registered here, then you need to start a conversation at xenforo.com w/Bob and provide the following:
    1. Your XenForo License Validation Token
    2. The Domain Name associated with the License
    NOTE: Your account will be validated once ALL requirements are verified/met. Thank you for your patience.

og:image shows logo rather than image?

thelaw

AMS Premium
CAS Premium
IMS Premium
LD Premium
SC Premium
Something must be set incorrectly. In showcase (latest stable version) I'm getting my logo as the image in the og:image tag. This means that posts on social media like facebook and G+ won't show the image, just the logo.

<meta property="og:image" content="https :// mysite.com/styles/mysite/xenforo/logo.og.png" />

I see this thread here: http://xenaddons.com/threads/use-gallery-images-for-og-image-meta-property.809/#post-4107

But this variable should be using the image in the post, just like other gallery plugins do. This is the point of the plugin - share with social media that is embedded within the post as a result of the og:image attribute. You can see this on other products.

Last edited:
Nothing is wrong... showcase is using CORE XENFORO (just like the Resource Manager) which does not allow the mapping of a different OG image (which is why it uses the logo). That thread you linked to even explains it and shows it. I THINK (you'd have to look) that there is a suggestion (other than Mouths thread you linked to) for this. If you can't find one, feel free to create a suggestion. Im not against dropping the use of core xf and doing a custom version if enough people like the idea.

btw, just to clear something up.... Showcase is not a "Gallery" (It never has been and never will be). Showcase is an ITEM MANAGEMENT SYSTEM which has several bits of functionality associated with it, to include the ability for each item to have its own image gallery. XFMG and XenGallery are examples of GALLERIES (its their Primary Purpose) and have a completely different architecture. Showcase's primary purpose is an IMS (Item Management System). Showcase can be used without uploading a single image to it.

I agree with you that it is far more than a gallery - which is why I chose showcase and not any of the Xenforo Gallery mods. Love the add-on.

If the definition of an IMS is item agnostic, e.g. text, image, media file, etc. then I think that the og:image attribute needs to change or be able to be set, either globally or by an identification of the type of "item" being entered. The problem here is that if you use the IMS primarily as a "showcase" -- and that implies showing something, usually images -- then the most important aspect of getting the word out via social media is frustrated significantly. Imagine Pinterest without being able to pin images anywhere. Core Xenforo is mostly text based - a forum - which is why the logo will be used far more often than not. Extending the examples you have here are cars, trucks, vehicles, aquariums, etc. all of these are image based showcases even though they can be merely a database for classification without a single image uploaded.

Just a suggestion, not a criticism. But I do think that if the IMS is being used for one of its very important purposes, there should be some type of control since I'd guess that this is going to be desired behavior much of the time as opposed to the logo. I'm just not familiar with the code that might allow for substituting the first image for the logo.

Last edited:
Looking at this again, I see you've mapped out what might be able to be changed. It would appear that substituting the met property og:image for the first image instead of the avatar. I'm not sure how that can be done here sincere there would need to be a way to address the first image in a showcase, which is a variable, and also to use the logo in the event there is no image in the showcase. It is not as simple as I've mapped it out below, although I'd even get the code hacked in just to make this function temporarily. Perhaps an option like "use first image in showcase if available" option would be very helpful.

Code:
<xen:container var="$head.openGraph">
    <xen:include template="open_graph_meta">
        <xen:set var="$url">{xen:link canonical:showcase, $item}</xen:set>
        <xen:set var="$title">{$item.item_name}</xen:set>
<xen:set var="$avatar">INSERT CODE FOR FIRST IMAGE HERE</xen:set>
    </xen:include></xen:container>

I've noticed all other galleries do this. Again, not saying that the IMS is faulty or that it is a gallery - which it is much more than just an image manager. I'm just pointing out how widespread this use is and how noticeable a lack of functionality in this area might be as well. Thanks for your consideration.

Bob... you totally rock. I'm extremely demanding of my scripts and add-ons and have to say that you cover so many bases. And I truly appreciate that, in spite of how comprehensive Showcase is, you're extremely dedicated to always making it bulletproof and keep an open mind to considerations from the rest of us. We can be quite demanding. It's another reason why I'm interested in taking a leap with the other projects (which I wrote to you about including an issue you may not be aware of regarding email.) Thanks again.

Reactions: Bob
Back