• REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS:

Your username here MUST MATCH your XenForo username (connected to your XF license).

Once you have registered here, then you need to start a conversation at xenforo.com w/Bob and provide the following:
    1. Your XenForo License Validation Token
    2. The Domain Name associated with the License
    NOTE: Your account will be validated once ALL requirements are verified/met. Thank you for your patience.

Implemented Filter items based on custom fields

C

cory_booth

I'm not sure how best to explain this, but I will use my Showcase as an example.

I was asked to find a way to make a Pet Registry for our POA.
The idea, lost pets could be reunited to their owners quicker if photos and decriptions were provided.

As I implement this solution, I thought it would be real nice to make the tabbed areas with mandatory or pre-populated info for user to choose from.

For example...

Showcase / Dogs

Tab = Details
Body = Select the breed, select the color, etc....

Then, we could implement a clickable search system so user who find the pet could log into the Showcase and click the color "brown" and all pets with "brown" would be listed.

Then to isolate further, the user could click "Lab", and the result would only list Brown Labs.

Using the example here on this site....

While you have categories Chevy....

It would be nice to provide users drop-downs to select specific items...

Perhaps, Turbo-Charged or Manual, etc...

Then you click build an interface that user could select "Turbo-Charged" and all Showcased Turbo-Charged cars could be listed.

Further... Ignoring the integrated search/filter concept - it would simply be nice to make user fill out a templated entry so you can enforce some sore of organizational format.

Just an idea...

Upvote 7
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Schaweet! :) You rock!

SC 2.5.1 includes a Custom Field Search widget that you can use until more direct filtering is added.

NOTE: When I say "widget", I am referring to a Renderer for the [bd] Widget Framework. Showcase doesn't have any "widgets" itself.

Screenshot 2015-12-01 at 5.20.04 PM.png

I haven't installed the new version but since it's a [bd] Widget Framework widget... what position do I put to get it to show on that page? Just do a custom hook or is there a "forum_list" type position to plug in there? I guess it would be the template name for the review home page that would do it? Which template is that?

Installed and working! Here are the positions to apply in the widget:

Screenshot 2015-12-01 at 11.15.21 PM.png

You need the search view so it shows up on the search results page and the -1 so it goes above the categories.

Check it out:

http://www.filmschool.org/filmschools/

Reactions: Bob
Added the category template so it shows up there too. :)

Screenshot 2015-12-02 at 8.23.39 AM.png

Good catch! Huh... I wonder why that is happening. Is it a permissions thing @Bob ?

The permissions seem correct: (this is for unregistered)

Screenshot 2015-12-02 at 3.39.34 PM.png

yes, multi layered as well...

the fields themselves have to be viewable to the viewing user and the fields need to be searchable...

Selection_302.png

ALSO, you MUST disable CACHING on this widget.

The fields do appear to be set up properly that way.

Screenshot 2015-12-02 at 3.45.15 PM.png

I don't see anything about caching anywhere for the widget.

And strange I just noticed that searching is not available for the fields at all even the old way with the menu option.

EDIT: I could have sworn the option to search was there as a guest on my site before in the old version of Showcase... but I could be wrong.

I don't see anything about caching anywhere for the widget.
Its part of the [bd] widget framework, NOT Showcase. Im pretty sure that I have it FORCED OFF, but if you see a TTL setting, make sure its set to 0.

Its part of the [bd] widget framework, NOT Showcase. Im pretty sure that I have it FORCED OFF, but if you see a TTL setting, make sure its set to 0.
I know that - but I'm not seeing anything that says TTL or caching on that widget's page and I'm not seeing a separate options panel for BD widgets.

If I log out and look at the showcase here as a guest I can't search... but that might be a permissions thing on your end...

But I could have sworn that as a guest I was able to search before on my site.

I checked all of my permissions for all of my custom fields and they do seem correct... and unregistered has "Search custom fields" turned on... not sure what's going on.

and unregistered has "Search custom fields" turned on... not sure what's going on.
I found it.... I just remember that Field Search has always been limited to logged in users only (I recently changed this in AMS and have not yet changed it in Showcase yet, but will in SC 2.5.2).

btw, one thing to keep in mind with XenForo Permissions (this applies to core xf as well as all addons) for the unregistered group (Guests) is that a lot of functions require User Id's (which guests do not have), so even tho a permission can be set (all permissions are available for all groups), that doesn't automatically mean that guests can do what the permission allows. For example, you can set your guest group to "Like Posts" and you will find out that they CAN'T. There are several cases of this with Core XF and the same applies to all addons that have permissions. This is because when a permission is created, its part of ALL user groups (you can't create a permission and exclude that permission from listing in specific user groups).

With that said, I've lifted the not logged in restriction (starting with SC 2.5.2). You'll need to wait for that release before guests can use the widget as I am not posting a how to for all the CODE modifications that need to be made.

I just remember that Field Search has always been limited to logged in users only (I recently changed this in AMS and have not yet changed it in Showcase yet, but will in SC 2.5.2).

Okay sounds good.

With that said, I've lifted the not logged in restriction (starting with SC 2.5.2). You'll need to wait for that release before guests can use the widget as I am not posting a how to for all the CODE modifications that need to be made.

Understood.

SC 2.9.0 has Filtering (called Refine by) of Custom Item Fields. Its a system that I developed for RMS (Review Management System) that replaces Advanced Field Search (which was always designed as a temporary system).

The Refine by system works similar to how sites like Amazon and TripAdvisor work (click on a filter and it filters the results right on the page).

I'll be posting more details soon... for now, a couple sneak peeks...

Selection_150.png

Selection_151.png

Selection_152.png

Back