• REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS:

Your username here MUST MATCH your XenForo username (connected to your XF license).

Once you have registered here, then you need to start a conversation at xenforo.com w/Bob and provide the following:
    1. Your XenForo License Validation Token
    2. The Domain Name associated with the License
    NOTE: Your account will be validated once ALL requirements are verified/met. Thank you for your patience.

Answered Using AMS as a Semi Wiki?

KensonPlays

AMS Premium
LD Premium
UBS Premium
None of the suggested threads seem to make sense, so I'm posting this here.

Currently, I use Ozzy's Wiki Threads addon, but I feel this could work better for it. When I have the "self join" setting enabled, it could function sort of like a half wiki, right?

It would be nice if I could have AMS somehow installed twice, so separate categories for wiki stuff and actual articles, but I'm not sure if that's doable, I couldn't see a way to do that in any of the settings.

Solution
There is quite a bit of demand for a wiki version of AMS. AMS cannot be installed twice. You can however use a category and subcategories as your wiki.
Its important to note that AMS is not intended to be used a s a wiki. Its an article management system.

AMS does not have all the functionality needed for a wiki, but it has some. AMS does support:
  • Contributors and co-authors for an article.
  • Editing by Contributors and co-authors.
  • Reassigning of articles.
  • Featuring of articles.
  • Banning of users from posting to articles.
  • Article Series can connect articles in the same way as a wiki book does.
  • Article snippet.
  • Article Ratings & Reviews.
  • if you require wiki articles to have an image then you can have...
There is quite a bit of demand for a wiki version of AMS. AMS cannot be installed twice. You can however use a category and subcategories as your wiki.
Its important to note that AMS is not intended to be used a s a wiki. Its an article management system.

AMS does not have all the functionality needed for a wiki, but it has some. AMS does support:
  • Contributors and co-authors for an article.
  • Editing by Contributors and co-authors.
  • Reassigning of articles.
  • Featuring of articles.
  • Banning of users from posting to articles.
  • Article Series can connect articles in the same way as a wiki book does.
  • Article snippet.
  • Article Ratings & Reviews.
  • if you require wiki articles to have an image then you can have beautiful layouts for your wiki categories.
  • custom fields can be used. It would require some custom development to create a wiki info box from that. Which is basically a sidebar widget to display the custom fields.
  • AMS does have a Table of Content, but it works differently to how it works in wiki. The links point to article pages, not to headings in the article. As XF 2.3 introduces heading anchors, we will have to see if or how this may affect AMS ToC.
  • Article edit history.
  • Compare edit versions.
  • Revert to previous Edit version.
Siropu's keyword linking addon supports AMS and other addon by @Bob

@Xon 's bbcode addon allows you to add some relevant bbcodes

I think OzzModz wiki thread (formerly by TH) is a very basic solution and compared to this AMS is IMHO a far better solution.
As AMS is not a wiki, it does not have wiki features like Mediawiki or Vaultwiki have:
  1. Infobox (sidebar with custom fields content)
  2. ToC links to headings.
  3. Automatically link to AMS titles.
  4. Citation / Reference manager.
  5. Wiki bbcode or functions.
  6. Image caption.
  7. Article Synonyms and 301 redirects. i.e. redirect 'computer-software' → 'software'.
  8. Disambiguation pages. (when a term has multiple meanings and therefore multiple pages about different topics)
  9. Display how many characters were added in an article edit / revision.
  10. Edit version moderation.
  11. Collapsible article sections.
  12. Section editing.
  13. Edit conflicts (only an issue for high traffic sites)
  14. Lock article from further editing.
  15. Wiki style 'Categories' (non-hierarchic categorization similar to tags)
    So that an article can be in multiple 'Wiki Categories', while its also in an hierarchical Category. For example in AMS you have hierarchical Categories similar to forum Categories. An article can be in only one AMS category. Wiki requires an additional categorization of the topic similar to how Content Tags work.
    For example the Wikipedia article about XenForo is categorized as Categories: Internet forum software - 2010 software - PHP software - Proprietary software

16. Article templates.
  17. Article status: from stub to complete.
  18. Article readability score.
  19. Mark edits as minor.
  20. Watch article for (major) edits.
  21. User contributions on profile and member page.
Most likely you will not need all of the above. I have hotlinked existing suggestions. Feel free to post suggestions of features that you would like to see implemented. In some cases its possible to sponsor a feature to get one implemented. This is useful for features you really need.

For reference:
Mediawiki features
Vaultwiki Features:

Last edited:
Solution
I have xons bbc addon, it's great to have a bunch added especially for a non coder.

But yea, @Alpha1, it's like half there. Some lil additions like ToC for the article (and maybe sub pages on article too), keyword linking, that may be enough for us.

But as someone who's unemployed ATM, gotta be very pick-and-choosy on what I spend money on.

UBS is definitely one I've enjoyed for a couple years now as it almost replaces WordPress. (Drag n drop is the ONE THING I miss, everything else good)

I would be extremely interested in some kind of knowledge wiki product, we're currently using IMS to build something similar for sci-fi/fringe theories. Naturally this subject attracts some... Differently minded people... So revision management / watched articles and the like would be higher on the priority list, but I love everything @Alpha1 posted, great post.

Just vote for the suggestions that you would like to see implemented in AMS:
True, though I was thinking as a separate variation of AMS maybe, so I can run them side-by-side with different tabs and each having multiple categories and sub-categories as needed.

You can create a new tab in the navigation manager and point it to a ams category.
It's not an optimal solution because it will not have it's own links in the header navigation.
A separate wiki version would be nice but it's a tall order.

It's not an optimal solution because it will not have it's own links in the header navigation.
You can edit the public navigation to add any links you want under public navigation in admin.

You can edit the public navigation to add any links you want under public navigation in admin.
I mean that if you use AMS for both normal articles and wiki, then it will not have wiki specific sub-navigation links, like it would when you would have when you would use a dedicated installation of AMS. i.e.There will not be a link for 'new wiki articles'

I mean that if you use AMS for both normal articles and wiki, then it will not have wiki specific sub-navigation links, like it would when you would have when you would use a dedicated installation of AMS. i.e.There will not be a link for 'new wiki articles'
There could be if you do a search link that shows new articles in a certain category?

Back