• REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS:

Your username here MUST MATCH your XenForo username (connected to your XF license).

Once you have registered here, then you need to start a conversation at xenforo.com w/Bob and provide the following:
    1. Your XenForo License Validation Token
    2. The Domain Name associated with the License
    NOTE: Your account will be validated once ALL requirements are verified/met. Thank you for your patience.

Implemented Google Maps Embed API integration for Showcase Items (Item Pages)

Bob

Developer
Staff member
Showcase Items can now display a google map to pin point a location via the address entered into a location field that is now part of the Item Create and Edit forms for Categories that allow maps. Allowing a google map is a per category setting.

This is an API driven function which requires a registered API Key from google, so in order to use this functionality, you need to obtain a Google Maps Embed API Key: Google Maps Embed API

Once you obtain a key, you simply add the key to the new Showcase Global Option (as shown below) which is located on the Showcase Options >> Item Page tab (at the very bottom of the options).

Selection_004.png

Once you add the key, the Map Location field will be visible on the Create Item and Edit Item forms.
Selection_013.png

As mentioned, Google Maps for Showcase Items can be Enabled/Disabled on a Per Category Basis. Along with that, you can also override the Global Map Options and set them specifically for that category (which currently is limited to display locations) (see below image)

The "Allow Google Maps for Item" category option is ENABLED by default, so if you want to allow maps for items in all of your categories, you don't have to do anything, however, if you don't want maps for items in specific categories, you need to edit them and disable the option.

NOTE: If you don't want maps period, you simply do not add an API key (or remove the API Key in the global options).

Selection_005.png

Lets look at the locations...

As shown in the above images, there are FOUR display locations that can be set. Each location is independent from the other and can be modified without effecting the other locations.

NOTE: Just because you CAN set all 4, doesn't mean you SHOULD set all 4. This is NOT designed to use all four locations at the same time. The only reason I made it so that you could is because there are use cases where you might want multiple locations enabled.

Here is a shot with the locations: Own Tab & Sidebar enabled.
Selection_006.png

Here is a shot with the locations: Header and Sidebar enabled.
Selection_007.png

Here is a shot of an associated discussion thread with the location: Header enabled.
Selection_008.png

Here is a shot of the locations: Below Item Content and Sidebar enabled.
Selection_009.png

Upvote 4
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
NOTE: This functionality is about Showcase ITEMs (the actual Item Pages themselves), not Showcase CATEGORY Pages, so please do not discuss Showcase CATEGORY Page functionality in this thread.

Awesome.
As you know, long time I was waiting for that (even before purchasing showcase itself!)
So, thanks a lot.

Just a question: EDIT moved to own thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny, I know I am tired when I am running 2.5.4 and searching high and low for this option. Then I realized this is in 2.6.0 beta...I can't wait to get this. I need this for my project :) Are we able to beta test?

Are we able to beta test?
Showcase Early Adopters will be getting it first (for beta testing) and being that you are an AMS Early Adopter, you will see it in action at the private development site soon.

Ahh ok, I wasn't around when Showcase was beta so I didn't realize that it's like AMS. Thanks, and I am sure many of us are excited about 2.6!

Ahh ok, I wasn't around when Showcase was beta so I didn't realize that it's like AMS. Thanks, and I am sure many of us are excited about 2.6!
Early Adopter license isn't about the initial creation of an addon, its the TOP TIER license. Both Showcase and AMS have 3 license tiers (Basic, Premium and Early Adopter). Early Adopter license are for people that want to be deeply involved with the development process (as you know from being part of AMS development). Im probably going to change the name from Early Adopter to Platinum or something so that people stop thinking its only about the initial development of AMS lol

Okay that makes a lot more sense when you put it that way. I like the tiered renaming of it. Early adopter made me think that there is a secret little club that got in early and I missed it, but I am happy to be wrong about it. Thanks for explaining it!

You can convert your Showcase "Basic" license to either Premium or Early Adopter. Inbox me if you are interested. Most of the AMS Early Adopters have upgraded their Showcase License.

@Bob, is there plans to extend this functionality a little further and allow map routes?
I'm thinking Google Maps Embed API where the user interacts with the map on the map tab to drop pins and show a route taken.

@Bob, is there plans to extend this functionality a little further and allow map routes?
I'm thinking Google Maps Embed API where the user interacts with the map on the map tab to drop pins and show a route taken.
I don't have any specific plans right now. Feel free to make a suggestion (and quote the specific part of the API that does what you are asking for).

Can you please activate this in the test category? in this way we can create some item with address included.

Can you please activate this in the test category? in this way we can create some item with address included.
Should already be activated... I just added one to this showcase item: 110 Gallon Aquarium Starter Kit

leave the category, come back to it, then try and create (or edit an existing one if you have one). The address field is at the top just below the description field.

Should already be activated... I just added one to this showcase item: 110 Gallon Aquarium Starter Kit

leave the category, come back to it, then try and create (or edit an existing one if you have one). The address field is at the top just below the description field.
opsssss I think I'm blind!

how about using Google Maps API to suggest the address while typing in the text field?

how about using Google Maps API to suggest the address while typing in the text field?
There are SEVERAL different Google Maps API's (not just one). The one that I am using for ITEMS is the Embed API. The Embed API is a NON METERED API (all the rest are METERED). Its only function is to display a Map, it doesn't have functionality like Auto Suggest (that is actually a special API in and of itself). Its very basic, but that is all that is needed for an ITEM PAGE IMO.

The JS API is now METERED (It was unlimited up until the start of this year). I don't feel right slapping in a METERED API into core (which is why I choose the Embed API for core). I plan on developing a couple Maps addons for Showcase at some point and those will use the JS API (one will be the Categories Pages). Free until exceeding 25,000 map loads per day for 90 consecutive days (which is why I will not include with code). Also must have credit card validation for an API Key.

The Auto Suggest address is now its OWN "Places" API Web Service( and actually is LIMITED and Metered as well). Its based on Businesses that have been vetted into Googles DB (so you can't add just any old location). Google Places API Web Service :150,000 free requests per day (after credit card validation)

Anyway... CORE will only be using the EMBDED API (Google Maps Embed API  |  Google Developers)

Sorry if I missed it, but is there a map page where all the showcases with a map location can be seen? Lots of pushpins on a map, one for each showcase? Click the pushpin and it opens a small pop-up information box. Click a 'More' link in the box and it will open the showcase?

Sorry if I missed it, but is there a map page where all the showcases with a map location can be seen? Lots of pushpins on a map, one for each showcase? Click the pushpin and it opens a small pop-up information box. Click a 'More' link in the box and it will open the showcase?
Not yet. I went with the Embed API for item pages as its an UNMETERED API and doesn't require a Credit Card to get an API key. The Embed API is only for SINGLE points on a MAP, so another API (one of the more powerful ones) needs to be used for the Category Pages implementation (which has been suggested here: Google Maps API integration for Showcase Items (Category Pages)

Anyway to paste in a the gps or Google maps url here vs the address?
no. It has to be a correctly formed address. To do stuff like that, you'd need to use one of the Advanced Map APIs and do A LOT of programming.

There are SEVERAL different Google Maps API's (not just one). The one that I am using for ITEMS is the Embed API. The Embed API is a NON METERED API (all the rest are METERED). Its only function is to display a Map, it doesn't have functionality like Auto Suggest (that is actually a special API in and of itself). Its very basic, but that is all that is needed for an ITEM PAGE IMO.

The JS API is now METERED (It was unlimited up until the start of this year). I don't feel right slapping in a METERED API into core (which is why I choose the Embed API for core). I plan on developing a couple Maps addons for Showcase at some point and those will use the JS API (one will be the Categories Pages). Free until exceeding 25,000 map loads per day for 90 consecutive days (which is why I will not include with code). Also must have credit card validation for an API Key.

The Auto Suggest address is now its OWN "Places" API Web Service( and actually is LIMITED and Metered as well). Its based on Businesses that have been vetted into Googles DB (so you can't add just any old location). Google Places API Web Service :150,000 free requests per day (after credit card validation)

Anyway... CORE will only be using the EMBDED API (Google Maps Embed API | Google Developers)
take a look at this:
Unmaintained - Auto Complete Location

EDIT: oopssss I saw only now the METERED thingy... :(

Back