• REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS:

Your username here MUST MATCH your XenForo username (connected to your XF license).

Once you have registered here, then you need to start a conversation at xenforo.com w/Bob and provide the following:
    1. Your XenForo License Validation Token
    2. The Domain Name associated with the License
    NOTE: Your account will be validated once ALL requirements are verified/met. Thank you for your patience.

Old Grid View Layout as a new additional layout type

Bob

Developer
Staff member
I have a request to bring back the OLD item list Grid Layout from the 1.x and 2.1 series as a NEW additional layout to the current existing layouts (List, Grid, Modular).

If enough people are interested, I will consider this. I won't bring it back for just a couple people tho.

Upvote 0
I'd like to see an option to determine the grid layout; for example x3 (as it is now) x4 and perhaps x5 columns.

Ahh man you are a star - I never even saw that; I need glasses lol, thanks for the link that has made a huge difference.

The new Grid system is much better, not sure why people would want old back :s

The new Grid system is much better, not sure why people would want old back :s

The requester has a pretty specific custom layout that works well with the old block and won't work at all with the new block.

Id like to see this also, on my test site I just cant seem to get the right look and feel I had with the previous version. I have tried all sort of tweaking.

The new layout is better in many ways but does it not allow to optionally have the "List" layout? if not then I need to worry about as on my site I have some categories and items in "List" layout, and I would need to rework on those items to adjust with new layout.(note that I have not upgraded my site to latest showcase, im on 2.0.0)

The other thing that I do not like in new layout is that it does not display star rating in a visible and attracting way like before, I use showcase as reviews and visible star rating makes it look good.

@Veer The LIST VIEW layout is a completely separate layout. There are 3 Layouts with Showcase (List View, Grid View and Modular). The OLD Grid View has been replaced by the NEW Grid View. This discussion is simply about bringing back the OLD Grid view as a FORTH layout option. I am also working on 2 additional new layouts (Review and Article).

Great, then nothing to worry about :D thanks for explaining, Bob :)
Well, Multiple Grid View layouts would make it confusing and it will also add more work for you too, to maintain and update. I think we should keep one Grid View, the new one is much better.

Oh I got excitement about new upcoming layouts ;)

ya, it would be called something else. I may just call it "Custom View" as it will just be a basic unsupported "shell" for those that want to make their own unique block layout.

Hi Bob,

I am not sure which one are you referring by "Old Grid View" but if it is about the grid view which had a snippet of the item overview.. then plz don't ditch it... (disclaimer: i have not see and used any of the new ones, hope one among them can do what i want to achieve)... i am trying to use the Showcase categories to populate 3-4 widgets ( [bd] widgets or Xenporta blocks) like this on my homepage ..

Recenthreads-Grid1.jpg

I am glad you are already seeing why the current default view will not be suitable for reviews and articles :thumbsup:
I am also working on 2 additional new layouts (Review and Article).

I am dying to see what you come up with....

The Review Layout is going to be Similar to the old Grid Layout (you'd be able to produce the above using the Reivew Layout). The new Grid Layout is basically the same Grid Layout that Chris D uses in Xen Media Gallery (which is more Visual Based than Textual Based).

The Review Layout is going to be Similar to the old Grid Layout (you'd be able to produce the above using the Reivew Layout).
Just wondering if i select Review layout to showcase 4-4 items in XenPorta page..... will i be stuck with all other features and fields that comes with Review features in SC.

• is it compulsory to use the features that comes in Review features
  • or the layouts are independent of the features; be it review or article

I've not updated any of the XenPorta blocks yet, but IF/WHEN I do, you'll be able to enable/disable individual bits of content within the block (like Title, Description, Review Rating, User Reviews Rating etc). Its been awhile since I looked at what I even did for xenporta, cause I don't use it.

Back