• REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS:

Your username here MUST MATCH your XenForo username (connected to your XF license).

Once you have registered here, then you need to start a conversation at xenforo.com w/Bob and provide the following:
    1. Your XenForo License Validation Token
    2. The Domain Name associated with the License
    NOTE: Your account will be validated once ALL requirements are verified/met. Thank you for your patience.

Not Planned [XF1] Comment tab

jOOc

Showcase
Upvote 5
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Showcase had this at one point and it almost got put back in, however, I received way too many complaints about it, so its not something that I am going to implement unless I can get a very high number of LIKES (like 100's). I understand why some want it and its not possible to have an option for both (its one or the other). I can try add in some more anchors (specially for pagination so when going to page 2, it will put the focus at the top of the comments section instead of at the top of the page). Also, this entire comments vs discussion thread thing is going to be completely revisited when doing the XF 2.0 re write.

Personally, I prefer the comments in their own tab, so I'd love to see this get some LIKE support, but I doubt it will.

Showcase had this at one point and it almost got put back in, however, I received way too many complaints about it
Really wonder why people didn't like this one? :eek::confused:

People come on, like this so we can have this back ;)

One of the gripes was not being able to have a tabless interface (which to a point I can understand). Tabs don't bother me as much as they do some people lol

so its not something that I am going to implement unless I can get a very high number of LIKES (like 100's)
do you know that top suggestion on xenforo.com got a little more than 100 likes? getting 100 likes here IMHO is impossible. ;)

do you know that top suggestion on xenforo.com got a little more than 100 likes? getting 100 likes here IMHO is impossible. ;)
Yes, I am VERY WELL aware of that and that is my entire point. Its going to be next to impossible for this one to get implemented unless a VERY LARGE number of members actively WANT THIS.

I think a comments tab is a bad idea, because there are better solutions to the problem. Users are more likely to comment when the reply box is not hidden behind a tab. But indeed they need to see the comment feature above the fold. There are various ways to do that. A tab is not one of them. IMHO.

I think it's very odd to have both a Discussion tab and a "write a comment" area/interface on the same item page--two different ways to do the same thing: post a comment. And the comments aren't integrated, which is unfortunate. So I often end up with 10 comments in the "write a comment" area and three or four within the Discussion tab, which is a xen thread. Is there a solution to this that I'm missing?

I think it's very odd to have both a Discussion tab and a "write a comment" area/interface on the same item page-
It was never designed to use BOTH. It was designed to give Admins OPTIONS to use ONE or the OTHER. Some people prefer to use comments vs the discussion thread. There are SOME tho that want to use both and have specific purposes for them.

Your Options (per category mind you)
  • Comments
  • Discussion thread
  • Comments and Discussion thread
  • Neither

And the comments aren't integrated, which is unfortunate.
Yes they are. They are deeply integrated. They are not POSTS in a discussion thead (which is probably what you mean). When you WATCH an Item, you get alerts and emails for comments being posted (just like you do with profile comments). You can LIKE comments (another "integrated" functionality). Inline moderation (another integrated functionality), Report, Moderator logging, MENTIONS, BBCode, permissions, moderation state (approve comments) ...

It was never designed to use BOTH. It was designed to give Admins OPTIONS to use ONE or the OTHER. Some people prefer to use comments vs the discussion thread. There are SOME tho that want to use both and have specific purposes for them.

Your Options (per category mind you)
  • Comments
  • Discussion thread
  • Comments and Discussion thread
  • Neither

I see. I probably have it set up wrong for what I want to do.

If you mean that comments do not show up on find-new 9new posts) then consider that you can add a widget with latest comments.

Back