• REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS:

Your username here MUST MATCH your XenForo username (connected to your XF license).

Once you have registered here, then you need to start a conversation at xenforo.com w/Bob and provide the following:
    1. Your XenForo License Validation Token
    2. The Domain Name associated with the License
    NOTE: Your account will be validated once ALL requirements are verified/met. Thank you for your patience.

Article Management System Series questions

PrettyPixels

AMS Premium
SC Premium
I've been gone from xenForo a while and have an old (expired) AMS license. I love how the AMS has come along. It looks great! :) I'm thinking of renewing and have a few questions.

Basically, I'd like to use the AMS for a fiction site. I'm especially interested in the "series" feature. Can you please tell me if the following features are available?

1) Allow a member to subscribe to a specific series and receive an alert/email when a new entry is posted in that series

2) Order entries in a series by chapter and/or date by default so the oldest entry (in that series) is listed first. The goal is to create a list of chapters in sequential order.

3) In a member's profile, list the series at the top level, and not as individual entries. For example, a list like this linked in the user's profile instead of the individual articles broken out of their "series" container.

4) Create a page where all items with a specific tag are listed. For example, create a page that lists/links all stories with the tag "mystery" and displays them as articles, rather than just a list of search results.

5) Are alerts available for blogs? I thought I saw somewhere this feature was still in development and am wondering if that's still the case. If so, is there any ETA on when this will be available?

6) Is it possible to have multiple authors for a series or article?

I appreciate any information you can offer. :)

1) Allow a member to subscribe to a specific series and receive an alert/email when a new entry is posted in that series
You can "watch" a series and choose to receive Alerts and or Emails when a new Series Part is added to the Series.

Selection_687.png

2) Order entries in a series by chapter and/or date by default so the oldest entry (in that series) is listed first. The goal is to create a list of chapters in sequential order.

When adding or editing a Series Part, you set the display order. This is much more flexible than going by date.

Selection_688.png

Selection_689.png

3) In a member's profile, list the series at the top level, and not as individual entries. For example, a list like this linked in the user's profile instead of the individual articles broken out of their "series" container.
Series information is not displayed on the Member Profile. You'd have to post a suggestion (and as a Premium license holder, I'd advise not posting it here, but posting it at my private development site so that it gets more weight).

4) Create a page where all items with a specific tag are listed. For example, create a page that lists/links all stories with the tag "mystery" and displays them as articles, rather than just a list of search results.
This has nothing to do with Series (and there is an existing suggestion for custom tags pages for AMS).

5) Are alerts available for blogs? I thought I saw somewhere this feature was still in development and am wondering if that's still the case. If so, is there any ETA on when this will be available?
Im not sure what you are asking here? AMS has always had "alerts" (since AMS 1.x). And what does this have to do with SERIES? I explained above that watching a series will send an alert when new Series Parts are add, are you looking for another type of alert?

Here are some of the alerts for AMS (these along with a bunch of others that are tied to moderation and other types of handlers). AMS has never had a "shortage" of alerts lol

Selection_690.png

6) Is it possible to have multiple authors for a series or article?
No, a piece of content in XenForo can only have ONE owner (this is how permissions are determined). With that said, a Series can be set to a "Community series", which allows anyone that has permissions to add Series Parts to a Community Series, will be able to add Series Parts to Community series.

Selection_691.png

Thank you, Bob! :) I really appreciate your quick (and thorough) reply.

When adding or editing a Series Part, you set the display order. This is much more flexible than going by date.

You're right. That is a much better solution.

Series information is not displayed on the Member Profile. You'd have to post a suggestion (and as a Premium license holder, I'd advise not posting it here, but posting it at my private development site so that it gets more weight).

Sounds good.

This has nothing to do with Series (and there is an existing suggestion for custom tags pages for AMS).

A custom tags page sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. I'll check out the suggestion thread.

Im not sure what you are asking here? AMS has always had "alerts" (since AMS 1.x). And what does this have to do with SERIES? I explained above that watching a series will send an alert when new Series Parts are add, are you looking for another type of alert?

Yeah, sorry about the confusion. I saw that (in a thread) somewhere and just wanted to double-check in case blogs worked differently. Your response answered my question. :)

No, a piece of content in XenForo can only have ONE owner (this is how permissions are determined). With that said, a Series can be set to a "Community series", which allows anyone that has permissions to add Series Parts to a Community Series, will be able to add Series Parts to Community series.

Got it.

Again, thanks for your time on this!

Reactions: Bob
Back