• REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS:

Your username here MUST MATCH your XenForo username (connected to your XF license).

Once you have registered here, then you need to start a conversation at xenforo.com w/Bob and provide the following:
    1. Your XenForo License Validation Token
    2. The Domain Name associated with the License
    NOTE: Your account will be validated once ALL requirements are verified/met. Thank you for your patience.

Route per Category

Eric

AMS Premium
SC Premium
UBS Premium
Is it possible to make a route URL per category? For example:
My main route for SC is projects - /projects
So my categories show up as - /projects/categories/rides.1/
And an item is - /projects/dark-phoenix.1/

Would it be possible to change the category URL to /category (ie: /rides)
And change the Item to be sub the Category (ie: /rides/dark-phoenix.1/)?

I think the Category one would be easy with the routes in admin, but the item I'm not sure.
or would I need to add a route for each item?

Last edited:
Upvote 1
Would it be possible to change the category URL to /category (ie: /rides)
I don't think that specific scenario is possible with Route Filters.

With that said, what would be nice is to be able to set a custom URL for a Category just like you can for a Forum. This is something that I'd like to do at some point (requires XF to add some functions to the categories system, which are the same functions that are used in the nodes system).

And change the Item to be sub the Category (ie: /rides/dark-phoenix.1/)?
This is not possible... items use the main route 'showcase' which you've created a route filter 'projects', so all items will use that specific route (you can't have different routes for items in different categories).

I don't think that specific scenario is possible with Route Filters.
It is, and I have done it, just having to create a route per category & per item is cumbersome, but you can see it here - Rides

With that said, what would be nice is to be able to set a custom URL for a Category just like you can for a Forum. This is something that I'd like to do at some point (requires XF to add some functions to the categories system, which are the same functions that are used in the nodes system).

That would be awesome!!

This is not possible... items use the main route 'showcase' which you've created a route filter 'projects', so all items will use that specific route (you can't have different routes for items in different categories).

All of the above applies here as well - Race - Dark Phoenix

How the heck did you pull that off with Route Filters?
just having to create a route per category & per item
Ah just re-read this and saw that you are creating a route filter for each individual category and each individual item ... I assumed that you were looking for a DYNAMIC solution (which is what you really need), not creating individual route filters for EACH individual Category and EACH individual Item. I guess if its a small number of categories and items, it wouldn't be too much work. Can't imagine doing it for 100's of 1000's of items tho lol

Ah just re-read this and saw that you are creating a route filter for each individual category and each individual item ... I assumed that you were looking for a DYNAMIC solution (which is what you really need), not creating individual route filters for EACH individual Category and EACH individual Item. I guess if its a small number of categories and items, it wouldn't be too much work. Can't imagine doing it for 100's of 1000's of items tho lol

Dynamic is what I was asking for, so you are correct :)
I am doing it manually now, as a work around

Reactions: Bob
I have to say, it LOOKS good that way... I just hope you don't run into any weird issues (if you do, let me know).

I have to say, it LOOKS good that way... I just hope you don't run into any weird issues (if you do, let me know).
So far it has been working well, but I will let you know for sure.

I am leaving this OPEN as a suggestion, not that I'd ever develop anything that modifies the Core XF Route System, however, I DO have plans to develop PER CATEGORY URL PORTION (just like NODES have). This allows you to set Custom URLS for Categories (just like you can set custom URLS for Nodes (Forums, Pages etc).

Selection_003.png

I am leaving this OPEN as a suggestion, not that I'd ever develop anything that modifies the Core XF Route System, however, I DO have plans to develop PER CATEGORY URL PORTION (just like NODES have). This allows you to set Custom URLS for Categories (just like you can set custom URLS for Nodes (Forums, Pages etc).

View attachment 6808

Do you have estimation when it will be released?
I hope you also add custom URLs for items.
An option to make the URL structure like this:
/showcase-category/showcase-sub-category/item-title

Do you have estimation when it will be released?
Not any time soon as in order for me to properly implement it, it requires XenForo to make some enhancements to the Categories System (which is a designed shared system which is used by XenForo Resource Manager, XenForo Media Gallery and any Addon that implements a Hierarchical Category System). Its been suggested (they are well aware of it), just waiting on them to implement it (which they only implement in 1st and 2nd point releases). This is not something they'd do in a 3rd point maintenance release. It could be awhile (XF 2.3, XF 2.4 etc).

That would work perfect, assuming Xenforo makes the changes which would be needed.

Reactions: Bob
Back