• REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS:

Your username here MUST MATCH your XenForo username (connected to your XF license).

Once you have registered here, then you need to start a conversation at xenforo.com w/Bob and provide the following:
    1. Your XenForo License Validation Token
    2. The Domain Name associated with the License
    NOTE: Your account will be validated once ALL requirements are verified/met. Thank you for your patience.

Question about Thumbnails and Galleries for Items

Ludachris

AMS Premium
CAS Premium
RMS Premium
SC Premium
UBS Premium
I just updated to the latest stable version of SC. I'm revisiting my thumbnail sizes, which are set to 300x300. I'm considering reducing those to 150 or so wide. But even that is too big for small thumbs in sidebar widgets. I've been displaying the most recent Item photos in a WF Widget on most pages for a long time, and I know it hurts page load times.

I know the system uses the base XF attachments system, so if I used an add-on for thumbnails, like the following, would it cover SC attachments thumbs for widgets?
[TH] Thumbnails

What is the suggested way to address attachment thumbnails for page load speed?

As for the default Showcase gallery in the item - how are those thumbnail sizes set/adjusted?

If you use LIST VIEW (and in some cases News View) and disable the Cover Image for the Item Sidebar, then you can make thumbnails as small as you want. If you use Grid View, News View II, Tile View or Article View, then you need to make sure you create a large enough thumbnail for those containers or it will look like CRAP. Article View can be used without images, but if you do use image, same thing apply's, you will need largish thumbs or the layouts will look like crap.

I know the system uses the base XF attachments system, so if I used an add-on for thumbnails, like the following, would it cover SC attachments thumbs for widgets?
[TH] Thumbnails
Showcase implements 3 attachment handlers (one for items, one for comments and one for reviews). Comments and Reviews implement pretty much exactly how threads implement the attachment handler cept that they limit the attachment type to just image (same as the XFRM does for uploading attachments to a Resource). For Items, its an entirely different ball game. First, Showcase (like XFMG) creates its own thumbnails as it needs LARGE thumbs and specific dimensions. I've also got a comprehensive permissions system and cover image system built in.

That addon that you posted is developed specific for THREADS. It doesn't have anything to do with the attachment system or any other addons. The reference made about Widgets refers to THREAD based widgets.

What is the suggested way to address attachment thumbnails for page load speed?
Set a lower "Showcase Thumbnail Quality" setting for thumbnails so the file sizes are smaller. Then use LIST view so that you can set the thumbnail size to something much smaller. Any viewing of images would then have to be done via the built in gallery's.

As for the default Showcase gallery in the item - how are those thumbnail sizes set/adjusted?
Those are dynamically created on the fly by the Gallery JS script (using the full size images). That happens on every page load (those thumbs are not stored anywhere). Both the Showcase Gallery and FotoRama Gallery do this.

Thanks a ton Bob. If I reduce the thumbnail size to say 125x125, and then find it's too small, can I set it back and rebuild again? Pretty sure I can, but wanted to be absolutely sure. :)

Thanks a ton Bob. If I reduce the thumbnail size to say 125x125, and then find it's too small, can I set it back and rebuild again? Pretty sure I can, but wanted to be absolutely sure. :)
Yes. Each time you change the size setting, you have to rebuild the Showcase Thumbnails (not XenForo Thumbnails, but Showcase Thumbnails).

Back