• REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS:

Your username here MUST MATCH your XenForo username (connected to your XF license).

Once you have registered here, then you need to start a conversation at xenforo.com w/Bob and provide the following:
    1. Your XenForo License Validation Token
    2. The Domain Name associated with the License
    NOTE: Your account will be validated once ALL requirements are verified/met. Thank you for your patience.

Implemented Item Fields and Review Fields: Editable by user groups

Bob

Developer
Staff member
This has been re implemented in Showcase 3.1.7 for both Item Fields and Review Fields.

The General options section of the Item Field and Review Field add and edit forms have a new option named "Editable by user groups" (the screen shot is of the Item Field edit, but looks the same for the Review Field edit).

Selection_118.png

Reactions: sbj
Upvote 1
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
So, does this mean outside of the item owner, now for example we could let registered people edit item fields of items that they don't own?

So, does this mean outside of the item owner, now for example we could let registered people edit item fields of items that they don't own?
No, this does not control who can edit the item. Editing the item is limited to either the Item Owner or Moderators with permission to edit any item.

This is the same as the "Editable by user groups" for custom Thread Fields (which is part of the Custom Fields system for XenForo that can be implemented when implementing custom fields for a content type). It is also the same as the "Editable by user groups" that was in the XF1 version of Showcase.

In a nut shell, this is for is being able to create custom fields that are only editable by the Owner of the piece of content (or Moderators) if they are in a specific user group(s).

Example (and this is just one of 1000's of use cases).... You create a field called "Verified Owner" and set that field to be editable by Administrative user group only. When anyone creates a Showcase Item that is not in the Administrative user group, they won't see that custom field on the create or edit form, because they are not in the administrative group, however, a user that has moderator permissions that can edit any item and is in the administrative user group, will be able to edit that field.

One of the more popular use case is for monetizing showcase items eg... creating fields that only those that are in PAID Premium Membership groups will be able to use. For example, a car site might have 100's of custom fields that Premium Members can use when creating/edit their items, but those in the registered group do not have access to them. When used in conjunction with being able to display custom fields on List Pages, that gives a HUGE advantage to have custom field content listed vs not having it listed (which is why it was so important to get both of those re implemented).

Reactions: sbj
Right, it makes sense to have this. It is not what I thought it would be but nontheless it is very powerful to have.
Yes, I see a lot of usecases how this can be very important to have.
Thank you.

I use a showcase as a catalog of rental apartments. I can’t figure out how I can use this function :(

I use a showcase as a catalog of rental apartments. I can’t figure out how I can use this function :(
This is a very LOW LEVEL feature that simply is for determining if an Item Author or Review Author can set a custom field or not.

Example use case. I create a Custom Review Field called "Verified" and I set the Editable user groups to Administrative. When your members post reviews, they won't see that field on the post review and edit review forms, but anyone in the Administrative group can edit a Review and they will see the "verified" input and can set it. Its a VERY HANDY feature that has been in all my addons for several years and this is just re implementing it.

Back