• REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS:

Your username here MUST MATCH your XenForo username (connected to your XF license).

Once you have registered here, then you need to start a conversation at xenforo.com w/Bob and provide the following:
    1. Your XenForo License Validation Token
    2. The Domain Name associated with the License
    NOTE: Your account will be validated once ALL requirements are verified/met. Thank you for your patience.

Resolved How to configure Survivor Pools?

hIBEES

AMS
Pick'em
Morning Bob

Is there a thread of how to configure Survivor?

How does it get configured etc.

I get the jist of how it works with players picking winners of each game but how do you actually configure that.

Thanks

There really isn't any "configuration" per-say. You create a Survivor Pool in the same way you create a Pickem Pool. The options on the input form should be slef explanatory (and there are not that many).

I get the jist of how it works with players picking winners of each game but how do you actually configure that.
That is NOT Survivor.... what you are describing is PICKEM.

Survivor is a variant of Pickem where players only pick a SINGLE TEAM for a given week. If the team they picked wins their match, the move onto the next week. If they team they picked losses, they receive a Strike. If the Pool is a single elimination pool, they are eliminated. If the pool is double or triple elimination, they move onto the next week, but now have 1 strike. If the pool is double elimination, once the player receives 2 strikes, they are eliminated. If the pool is triple elimination, once the player receives 3 strikes, they are eliminated. Eliminated players can view the pool, but they can not participate as they've been eliminated (which is the entire point of Survivor). You play until there is only 1 player left OR to the end of the season (in which there will be multiple survivors)..

The TWIST is that you can only pick a team ONCE during the entire season.

Its a FUN variation of Pickem (and a popular one at that).

You run Survivor Pools right along side of Pickem Pools (there is no additional administration or configuration as they use the same SEASON as a Pickem Pool does).

Yessss sorry, yes that is what I meant when picking, so they pick a team in survivor but a team in pickem, perfect, that is what I was wondering how the survivor worked, good having the 3 choices as well.

Lovely it runs off the same season.

Will give it a go.

Just to figure out what I will do if everyone goes out at the same time.

I think I will go with 3 strikes to prolong the game, and the user with the least longest strike shall win if everyone goes out at once

Thank you.

Reactions: Bob
Just to figure out what I will do if everyone goes out at the same time.
lol... I've seen this happen before in single elimination pools were everyone picked Team X (a really good team) to win their match over the worst team in the league and the worst team in the league won the match in an Upset, knocking everyone in the pool out! haha....

When that happens, you simply start a new Survivor Pool, which will start out at the current week (obviously people will need to join the pool, but that doesn't take any effort.

I usually run several Survivor Pools during a given NFL Season (17 weeks). Both Single and Double. I've not used triple elimination. We also run at least one MID SEASON (starting after week 8) single elimination pool.

Also, keep in mind that you can only go as many weeks as you have TEAMS as you can only choose a team once.

The NFL has 32 teams and a 17 week season, so no worries there, however, a League with only 12 teams, could only go the max of 12 weeks.

Also, keep in mind that you can only go as many weeks as you have TEAMS as you can only choose a team once.

The NFL has 32 teams and a 17 week season, so no worries there, however, a League with only 12 teams, could only go the max of 12 weeks.
Ah I see, this is for a 12 team league.

Would you recommend a single elimination then?

I presume users can pick the same team as another user yes?

For example

Jon 1 picks Dundee Utd

Can Jon 2 also pick Dundee Utd?

Jon 3 picks Forfar

Etc

What happens if they 2 teams keep winning week after week? Its going to go on until one of them loses no?

Or am I being thick?

Edit: hold on, they pick a team week after week? And cannot pick the same team again?

Think I got it, so you need to be active on the site and pick what you think is the team likely to win, once that teams been picked by another user no one can pick it.

Ah I see, this is for a 12 team league.

Would you recommend a single elimination then?
Yes, I would recommend SINGLE elimination if you only have 12 teams in the league.

I presume users can pick the same team as another user yes?
YES. As I explained in this post, every player in the pool picked the SAME TEAM in week 1 and all of them were eliminated because the team they all picked, LOST the game.

Its not about what OTHERS do, its about what YOU DO as a player in the pool. In your case, you have 12 teams in the league, so each player starts out with those 12 teams that are available to them. Each player has their OWN listing of available teams (teams that they have not picked yet). Once you pick a team, that team will be removed from YOUR LIST of available teams (it doesn't effect anyone elses list of available teams)

Week 1: You pick Team A to win. Team A wins their match, so you move onto Week 2. Team A is moved to YOUR LISTING of "used teams".

Week 2: When you set your picks, you will NOT be able to choose Team A as Team A is listed on YOUR listing of "Used teams", so you can only pick one of the 11 teams remaining that you have not yet used. You pick Team D. Team D loses the game. Its a single elimination pool, so you are Eliminated and can no longer participate (but you can view the pool).

Don't over think things. You are a player in the pool. Your game play has no effect on other players in the pool. You are all trying to make a correct pick in order to move onto the next week. Your PICK (whether its correct or not) has no baring on any other players in the pool.

Hi Bob,

Quick question.

I presume that with survivor its a win based system.

What happens if teams draw? I presume the user gets eliminated? Which is fair enough, but let's say there are 4 left standing and all teams draw, do I just split the pot? Maybe just answered my own question.

I presume that with survivor its a win based system.
Its not STRICT in the sense that there is only one way to WIN, but yes, the main goal is to be the only one that survives while everyone else is eliminated. There are scenarios where there are multiple winners.

What happens if teams draw?
You pick a TEAM to WIN their match. A Draw is not a WIN, so if you pick Team A to win and Team A is playing Team F and they TIE (Draw), then your pick of Team A to win is incorrect and it counts as a strike. That is how Survivor works.

I presume the user gets eliminated?
That all depends on if its a single, double or triple elimination pool. Elimination is based on strikes received. If its a single elimination, then yes, however, it its double or triple elimination and its their first strike, then no.

but let's say there are 4 left standing and all teams draw, do I just split the pot?
Yes, that is how Survivor works. If you are in week 6 and there are x players still alive and all of them are eliminated, those x players would be considered the winners of the season (unless you have your own rules and tie breaking procedures).

NOTE: You can make your OWN RULES AND TIE BREAKERS (which most pools have their own rules). For example, the way WE do it, is by game time. Not all games (matches) start and end at the same time, so player x might get eliminated at 1pm, 2 more at 1:15 PM, another one at 1:30 pm and the last one at 2:05 PM (so the one at 2:05 lasted longer by the luck of the match he choose was later than the others.

You can do things like create tie breakers based on trivial things that are used to determine the overall sole survivor if you want to (and probably should if you are doing this for money).

Back