• REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS:

Your username here MUST MATCH your XenForo username (connected to your XF license).

Once you have registered here, then you need to start a conversation at xenforo.com w/Bob and provide the following:
    1. Your XenForo License Validation Token
    2. The Domain Name associated with the License
    NOTE: Your account will be validated once ALL requirements are verified/met. Thank you for your patience.

Not Planned Discussion thread at the position of showcase comment system

woei

Showcase
Ok, I know this might be an insane suggestion, but I would really love it and I honestly think a lot of other showcase admin would like the feature.

Now the showcase has a good comment system, but to me the main downside is that comments made to an item don't show up in the new posts section because they are showcase comments, and thats completely understandable.

But now you will say, just use the option of threads for discussion. Well I really would love to, but the mayor downside IMHO is that you have to perform 2 clicks as an user for you can see the latest reaction on a item. First to click the discussion tab, and then to go to the latest post.

Therefore, I was wondering if the thread/posts could be displayed on the same place where now the showcase comments are? I have seen an add-on who uses this (XenKingDir) and I think the major advantage is that members only have to visit 1 page to see what they want.

I really think this could be the boost some showcases need, so they have a tighter integration with the forums.

Please let me know what you think or like this post if you think it should be included :)

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
This has already been suggested and tabled (Future Consideration) until the next First Point release of XenForo (2.x).

Ok this is great to hear, but just out of interest, why wait until the next first point release? Is there a special advantage to it?

Ok this is great to hear, but just out of interest, why wait until the next first point release? Is there a special advantage to it?
I'm going to guess because it's a big code edit and that what first point release are, trying to fit it into a second point release would very likely mean a delay in some small edits/fixes. Plus because it would be a big edit you would need to do some beta tests.

Reactions: Bob
Late to the party -- was this ever done?

Thanks!
Ray

was this ever done?
No. I was hoping for a discussion handler, however, there isn't one, so I am using the same type of discussion thread integration that the core XF developers use for the XFRM along with an optional built in comments system for those that prefer comments vs discussion thread integration.

Ah, gotcha. Does this work also for your XF 1.5 version?

Thanks!

Ah, gotcha. Does this work also for your XF 1.5 version?

Thanks!
Both XF1 and XF2 versions have both Discussion Thread association and Comments. Its pretty flexible as its a per category setting, so you could have categories that use comment, other categories that have associated discussion threads, other categories with BOTH (yes, some sites use both lol) and some with neither.

That could work! I'm thinking of trying my copy of Showcase on a medical website for patients to share coping strategies and such. We have great discussion threads on our forums and I'd like to keep those going while using Showcase as a way to feature (and database) those discussions as a starting point for folks researching medical issues.

Ray

Reactions: Bob
Back