• REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS:

Your username here MUST MATCH your XenForo username (connected to your XF license).

Once you have registered here, then you need to start a conversation at xenforo.com w/Bob and provide the following:
    1. Your XenForo License Validation Token
    2. The Domain Name associated with the License
    NOTE: Your account will be validated once ALL requirements are verified/met. Thank you for your patience.

Resolved Category Maps not showing?

Gina

Showcase
Hello, we installed the latest version of Showcase for XF2 and can't get the category map to display.

We have the options enabled for Enable category map and Enable full page category map, along with the the required API keys:
  • Google Maps Embed API Key
  • Google Maps JavaScript API Key
  • Google Maps Geocoding API Key
The google map displays on the actual item listing for that specific item, but not on the category page where we want to display all of the items in the category at once on the map.

Also - clicking "View Full Map" button doesn't display it either, it just says "No items have been added yet."

Any ideas as to why it may not be displaying? Is this perhaps controlled by a widget that we may have disabled?

Thank you!

Last edited:
My guess is that Google is rejecting the Geocoding API key from your server. Every single time someone has an issue with this, its due to the Geocoding API being blocked by google (as they are detecting that your server should not have access to the API because of restrictions that you put on the API key in the google counsel).

The google map displays on the actual item listing for that specific item
That uses the Google Maps EMBED API and has no connection with Category maps which use the JavaScript API and Geocoding API.

You didn't mention running the REBUILD LOCATION DATA. Did you perform that task? If not, run that Cache Rebuild as it might be that you just have not populated the Location Data cache yet.

I'm having this same issue. I checked my API and it is set to allow the entire domain. My XF1 site (same domain & API keys) this works fine.

Here are the restrictions on my API key
upload_2020-5-28_14-21-42.png

I also ran the Rebuild Locations cache as you mentioned above. The only place I get a map displayed is when I click on the location link in the sidebar on the item page.

You didn't mention anything about checking the CATEGORY settings for Category Maps. Can you verify that those are set? They are NEW for the XF2 version of Showcase, so if you've upgraded from XF1 to XF2, you'd need to edit the categories and set all the new Category Maps options.

You didn't mention anything about checking the CATEGORY settings for Category Maps. Can you verify that those are set? They are NEW for the XF2 version of Showcase, so if you've upgraded from XF1 to XF2, you'd need to edit the categories and set all the new Category Maps options.

Sorry, yes I have it set.

upload_2020-5-28_15-14-24.png

I can give you Admin access if you want. No rush on it, the site isn't live as I am still moving things over from XF1 & VB4 (I didn't perform an upgrade, it is a fresh install)

Did you solve the problem? Same here.
100% of everyone that has had this issue is due to Google rejecting the request from the Geocoding API (its really finicky). What most people have done is to create an API Key just for the Geocoding API and not set any restrictions on it (its only used in programming code, which is not accessible to the public, so its safe to use it without restrictions). So give that a try (and don't forget to run the rebuild item location data after making the change).

Yes, I solve the problem myself before I read your solution =).

Google Maps Embed API Key is running on client. You have to restrict it by referer.
Google Maps JavaScript API Key is running on client. You have to restrict it by referer.
Google Maps Geocoding API Key is running on server. You have to restrict it by IP. Also doublecheck that you enter IPv4 and IPv6.

Reactions: Bob
Back