• REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS:

Your username here MUST MATCH your XenForo username (connected to your XF license).

Once you have registered here, then you need to start a conversation at xenforo.com w/Bob and provide the following:
    1. Your XenForo License Validation Token
    2. The Domain Name associated with the License
    NOTE: Your account will be validated once ALL requirements are verified/met. Thank you for your patience.

Resolved Blog Entry Thumbnails and Cover Image

KensonPlays

AMS Premium
LD Premium
UBS Premium
I like this feature in WordPress, but now that I don't use it anymore, I miss it.

The ability to define a post thumbnail that does not show in the post itself, but shows on previews, embeds, and entry list, and maybe in social media embeds, would be very nice to have, so I can use custom made thumbnails for each of my posts.

That would be a feature that I'd budget out to renew my license for, since it would be great for visuals on the forum and blogs.

When you say "POST" are you talking about the First Post of an associated Discussion Thread or are you talking about a Blog Entry in UBS (which is not referred to as a "post")?

Blog entry in UBS.

They are called posts in WordPress, which I've used for many many years, so its what I normally call them.

Here's a friend of mine's blog (he still uses WP):
upload_2023-7-6_11-18-26.png

Post thumbnails let him have some form of branding and similarity in all posts, rather than having to put it as first image in the post which may break the flow of reading it, the thumbnail is assigned but not displayed in the post itself at all.

The ability to define a post thumbnail that does not show in the post itself, but shows on previews, embeds, and entry list, and maybe in social media embeds, would be very nice to have, so I can use custom made thumbnails for each of my posts.
All of my addons have what is called a "Cover Image" and you can set any of the uploaded image attachments as the Cover Image. The Cover Image is used to display on Listing Pages (List View, Grid View, Tile View, Blog Entry View, Grid Block, Carousel Full and Carousel Simple). The Cover Image also used for Embeds and Social Media.

When you upload image attachments, the service sets the first image attachment as the Cover Image automatically, however, there is a "Set cover image" function in the more options dropdown for the Blog Entry, which lets the content author or contributors select which of the uploaded image attachments to set as the Cover Image. This has been a feature in my addons since XF 1.0.0.

All of my addons have what is called a "Cover Image" and you can set any of the uploaded image attachments as the Cover Image. The Cover Image is used to display on Listing Pages (List View, Grid View, Tile View, Blog Entry View, Grid Block, Carousel Full and Carousel Simple). The Cover Image also used for Embeds and Social Media.

When you upload image attachments, the service sets the first image attachment as the Cover Image automatically, however, there is a "Set cover image" function in the more options dropdown for the Blog Entry, which lets the content author or contributors select which of the uploaded image attachments to set as the Cover Image. This has been a feature in my addons since XF 1.0.0.
I'm not seeing a "cover image" on my post editor, or in the ... menu:
upload_2023-7-7_12-29-13.png upload_2023-7-7_12-29-41.png

Is it the first image? If so, would it be possible to add a toggle to "Hide cover image inside post"? And only show the cover image on the blog entries list?

The "Set cover image" function requires that at least 1 Image Attachment is upload to the Blog Entry.

If you do not have a an Image Attachment uploaded to the Blog Entry, then the Fall Back would be using the Blog Cover Image (which is also an uploaded image attachment)

If the blog itself does not have a cover image, the Category Image (if one is uploaded) will be the 3rd fall back.

If there are no Blog Entry Image attachments, no Blog Image Attachments and No Category Image, then you will get a colored background for Tile View and Grid View layouts.

Is it the first image?
When creating a Blog Entry, if you UPLOAD any Image Attachments via the Attachment Uploader (part of the editor), the blog entry create service will set the 1st uploaded image attachment as the Blog Entry Cover Image. If you uploaded multiple image attachments, you can use the "Set Cover Image" feature to chose any of the uploaded image attachments as the Cover Image. Blog's have the same feature. Each Category has an option to REQUIRE a Cover Image, so that when Blog Entries are created, then won't save unless there is at least 1 image attachment uploaded, ensuring that each blog entry has a Cover Image.

HOT LINKED IMAGES do not come into play as those are not Image Attachments.

You are confusing XenForo Image Attachments and Hot Linked images (images that are hosted on an external server). There are not connected in any way shape or form.

Also, the term Embedded in XenForo, applies to Image Attachments, not Hot Linked images. The XenForo attachment System lets you embed image attachments into the content AS AN OPTION, but its not the default and there is no auto embedding).

You don't have to embed an image attachment into the blog entry content (they are not auto embedded). Uploaded Image attachments will display where ever you configured them to display via the UBS Options (Own Tab, Below the blog entry (which is just like how image attachments display below the post when they are not embedded) and No Gallery (which is basically what you want).

Just TRY it. Create a TEST Blog Entry and upload at least 1 image attachment (better yet, upload 3 or 4) and you will see that the system sets that uploaded image attachment as the Blog Entry Cover Image. Then you will see that the "Set cover image' function is available and when you set a different cover image, it changes the image that is used on the listing pages. Its just that simple.

THEN, if you don't want uploaded image attachments displaying, simply set the Image Gallery location in the UBS Blog Entry Page options to "No Gallery" and you will see that the uploaded attachments do not display anywhere, but the image attachment that you set as the cover image does display on Listing Pages (and of course, OG image will use the Cover Image if one is set).

You are over thinking things and trying to compare features from WordPress to XF to UBS. UBS has its own system that has been in place for 15 years and nothing to do with WordPress or XF Article Threads.

When creating a Blog Entry, if you UPLOAD any Image Attachments via the Attachment Uploader (part of the editor), the blog entry create service will set the 1st uploaded image attachment as the Blog Entry Cover Image. If you uploaded multiple image attachments, you can use the "Set Cover Image" feature to chose any of the uploaded image attachments as the Cover Image. Blog's have the same feature. Each Category has an option to REQUIRE a Cover Image, so that when Blog Entries are created, then won't save unless there is at least 1 image attachment uploaded, ensuring that each blog entry has a Cover Image.

HOT LINKED IMAGES do not come into play as those are not Image Attachments.

You are confusing XenForo Image Attachments and Hot Linked images (images that are hosted on an external server). There are not connected in any way shape or form.

Also, the term Embedded in XenForo, applies to Image Attachments, not Hot Linked images. The XenForo attachment System lets you embed image attachments into the content AS AN OPTION, but its not the default and there is no auto embedding).

You don't have to embed an image attachment into the blog entry content (they are not auto embedded). Uploaded Image attachments will display where ever you configured them to display via the UBS Options (Own Tab, Below the blog entry (which is just like how image attachments display below the post when they are not embedded) and No Gallery (which is basically what you want).

Just TRY it. Create a TEST Blog Entry and upload at least 1 image attachment (better yet, upload 3 or 4) and you will see that the system sets that uploaded image attachment as the Blog Entry Cover Image. Then you will see that the "Set cover image' function is available and when you set a different cover image, it changes the image that is used on the listing pages. Its just that simple.

THEN, if you don't want uploaded image attachments displaying, simply set the Image Gallery location in the UBS Blog Entry Page options to "No Gallery" and you will see that the uploaded attachments do not display anywhere, but the image attachment that you set as the cover image does display on Listing Pages (and of course, OG image will use the Cover Image if one is set).

You are over thinking things and trying to compare features from WordPress to XF to UBS. UBS has its own system that has been in place for 15 years and nothing to do with WordPress or XF Article Threads.
Odd, got no notification for this at all. Can give it a try.

Back