• REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS:

Your username here MUST MATCH your XenForo username (connected to your XF license).

Once you have registered here, then you need to start a conversation at xenforo.com w/Bob and provide the following:
    1. Your XenForo License Validation Token
    2. The Domain Name associated with the License
    NOTE: Your account will be validated once ALL requirements are verified/met. Thank you for your patience.

Not Planned [XF1] Multi categories for items

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Currently no. The category architecture (Nested Set Model) is a one to one relationship between a category and an item. It would require a completely different category architecture to allow for a many to one relationship. Its not something I can just "tweak".

Im not opposed to the idea of it, but its not something I will give a simple yes or no to without several hours of R&D on it. Personally, I am more in favor of TAGS vs multiple categories (but thats just me).

For now I am marking this as Not Considered.

This would be really useful. I don't think it needs to be a different architecture than nested model. A redirect type function would work. Similar to link forums.

Cat A has 32 permissions
Cat B has 19 of those permissions set differently than cat A
Cat C has 8 permissions different than Cat A and 3 Different from Cat B

All 3 categoryies have different Cateogry Specific Options... ie Cat A using Gallery 1 and own Tab with XFMG integration, Cat B uses Gallery 2, Gallery in header and no XFMG integration, Cat C use Custom Gallery located below Tab 1.

WHICH Category drives the permissions and options for the ITEM?

BTW, don't even say that the Item will use the "first" category or have a primary category. THAT is not even remotely a viable solution.

If a similar setup as 'link forums' would be used then the 'additional categories' are only symbolic and do not carry over any permissions or settings. Its merely a link in the node tree, pointing to a category that resides elsewhere in the node tree. Not optimal, but works.
Something similar to how Shawn has done it on his site. See: https://xenforo.com/community/threa...in-multiple-locations-in-the-node-tree.46828/

No Thank you. If you want someone to HACK up the existing architecture, then hire someone to do it, cause it won't be me.

btw, Mike was asked this same question (again for the umpteenth time) just recently (within the last few weeks) about doing it for the Resource Manager and he said the same thing I am saying (for the same exact reasons).

ok. Fair enough. At least you guys are consistent. lol.

Not that I have a authority, but it would be really great if we could choose multi categories.
Because an item (a red car) can be listed under "red" and also under "car".

For this i use the Tag Management.
It´s not the same as you want, but so i find my "red" car and all other red cars.

Reactions: Bob
Not that I have a authority, but it would be really great if we could choose multi categories.
Because an item (a red car) can be listed under "red" and also under "car".
I think what you are really asking for is custom field searching... which you can do now.

You have a category for trucks... one for cars.

Withing each category you can sort via custom fields such as "red" "blue" "green"

Reactions: Bob
I think what you are really asking for is custom field searching... which you can do now.

You have a category for trucks... one for cars.

Withing each category you can sort via custom fields such as "red" "blue" "green"

Can you show me what you mean?
I think a custom field search is different than having multiple categories.

@cdub Bob added these new features? This is awesome actually.

So from what I see I can add multiple custom user fields?

Let's say my car is in red and blue. Can I add as attribute "red" and "blue" and when I search "red" or "blue" or "both", the item can be found?

Can I add as attribute "red" and "blue" and when I search "red" or "blue" or "both", the item can be found?
the search is OR and AND based (OR within a field and AND between fields).

Field 1: Field 1 is a multi choice field called colors. The choices are: RED, BLUE, SILVER and BLACK

Field 2. Field 2 a multi choice field called wheel type. The choices are: Stock or Custom

Field 3. Field 2 a multi choice field called transmission type. The choices are: Manual, Automatic, 2 speed, 3 speed, 4 speed, 5 speed, 6 speed, Racing, Stock or Custom

So lets do a search..

Field 1. I select Silver and Black

Field 2. I select Custom

Field 3. I select Automatic, Stock and Custom

I select FORD in the Category Select (cause I am only interested in FORDs). I check search child categories as well.

The search will return items that are:

Fords that are Silver OR Black AND have Custom Wheels AND have a stock or custom automatic transmission

@Bob

Thank you for taking your time and explaining this. By the way the new addition is awesome. A big improvement for all people I assume.

Can I make a suggestion for future release to be able to have AND based search within fields? You want me to open a thread about that?

So the search lists me "Fords that are Silver and Black AND .... AND ..."

In our example it makes not a good example cause mostly cars are not colored in more than 1 color, but some muscle cars are.

Or maybe as a better example, let's say I have a site about movies. And my category is "genres". So you can select between "action, drama, thriller, horror, romance, etc."
And when I select "action and romance", I want to find all those movies which are exactly from this genre, and not movies which are either action OR romance AND...

Then this would be actually the "multiple categories" we were talking about. I mean this new features would do this.

I explained HOW it works. It works AS I explained. It doesn't look for cars that are Silver AND Black, it looks for items that have EITHER Silver OR Black check. It will return vehicles marked SILVER, Vehicles Marked BLACK (It doesn't look for vehicles that are marked BOTH Silver AND Black).

I developed the functionality, I KNOW how it works lol Its an OR based (inside the field) and AND based (between fields). This is EXACTLY how it works at places like Amazon.com

Erm... yeah?

Did I say something wrong? Sorry.

Yes, you explained how it works. Thank you for that. And yes, you know how it works and yes I understood your example.

I was just saying that I am missing a feature. So I was asking you if you could add this feature in future releases. That's all.

Cause as it is now we can't search AND based within fields.

btw, this isn't a NEW feature, its been in showcase for awhile now (was released with SC 2.2.0 in the fall of 2014, so its coming up on almost 2 years since release). What is NEW is that I've added a Custom Field Search Sidebar Block. The Custom Field searching functionality has been in Showcase since the fall of 2014.

Last edited:
Ah, right. I didn't know that. I haven't seen before the custom field search functionality. @cdub quoted my post from 1 year ago and I thought something new was added, cause he said: "...is custom field searching... which you can do now."

Back