• REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS:

Your username here MUST MATCH your XenForo username (connected to your XF license).

Once you have registered here, then you need to start a conversation at xenforo.com w/Bob and provide the following:
    1. Your XenForo License Validation Token
    2. The Domain Name associated with the License
    NOTE: Your account will be validated once ALL requirements are verified/met. Thank you for your patience.

Thumbnail is blurry and RSS icon doesn't show up

clove

Showcase
Hi,

I'm having a problem setting up the thumbnail size properly. The thumbnails are blurry. Please refer to the picture below

upload_2015-4-16_19-55-49.png

What size do you have the Showcase Thumbnail dimension set at? and what size are the images you are uploading? If the images are SMALL and you are trying to make a LARGE thumbnail, that would be the problem.

As far as RSS, did you upload all the showcase images into your custom style? Showcase includes a bunch of images, however, they are located in the Default Style. When you use a 3rd party style, you also have to upload them all to each 3rd party style you are using..

CORE XF: /styles/default/nflj/showcase/....

3rd party: /styles/styname/nflj/showcase/... (just copy the /nflj folder from the default into you custom style :)

Last edited:
What size do you have the Showcase Thumbnail dimension set at? and what size are the images you are uploading? If the images are SMALL and you are trying to make a LARGE thumbnail, that would be the problem.

As far as RSS, did you upload all the showcase images into your custom style? Showcase includes a bunch of images, however, they are located in the Default Style. When you use a 3rd party style, you also have to upload them all to each 3rd party style you are using..

CORE XF: /styles/default/nflj/showcase/....

3rd party: /styles/styname/nflj/showcase/... (just copy the /nflj folder from the default into you custom style :)

Hi Bob,

The problem is my members are uploading different sizes of images so I could not really say what is the size. Maybe I could put a range for image sizes?

About the rss, it's okay now. Last question, how can I change the color of the " Replies #, Latest ..." in the picture below?

upload_2015-4-16_19-54-42.png

Last edited:
I can't help you if I don't have this information available. I can't guess what you have it set it.
What size do you have the Showcase Thumbnail dimension set at?
Selection_092.png

If your users are uploading SMALL images like 100x100 and you have the THUMBNAIL size set at 300x300, then a very blurry thumbnail is going to be created as its being enlarged.

Also, if you have the thumbnail size set at 300x300 and your users are uploading an image that is 100x800 (short and wide), its also going to be very distorted and fuzzy.

I can quickly tell you what the issue is if I can have a LINK to your site so I can inspect it with Firebug (it will tell me the Full Sized image size (dimensions) that are being uploaded). I had someone just a few weeks ago with a similar issue and found out that they were trying to upload wide banners (700x90) and making 250x250 thumbs from then (that just will not work).

Maybe I could put a range for image sizes?
This is not possible. The thumbnail is generated to a specific proportion. If that proportion is SQUARE, then you need to inform your users that they need to upload (as close as possible) "squarish" images (not Tall and Skinny or Wide and Short). Hope that makes sense.

I can't help you if I don't have this information available. I can't guess what you have it set it.

View attachment 1624

If your users are uploading SMALL images like 100x100 and you have the THUMBNAIL size set at 300x300, then a very blurry thumbnail is going to be created as its being enlarged.

Also, if you have the thumbnail size set at 300x300 and your users are uploading an image that is 100x800 (short and wide), its also going to be very distorted and fuzzy.

I can quickly tell you what the issue is if I can have a LINK to your site so I can inspect it with Firebug (it will tell me the Full Sized image size (dimensions) that are being uploaded). I had someone just a few weeks ago with a similar issue and found out that they were trying to upload wide banners (700x90) and making 250x250 thumbs from then (that just will not work).

This is not possible. The thumbnail is generated to a specific proportion. If that proportion is SQUARE, then you need to inform your users that they need to upload (as close as possible) "squarish" images (not Tall and Skinny or Wide and Short). Hope that makes sense.

Hello,

I had set mine to 20x20. You can check it here http://pinoyexpatforum.com

must be cached (server cache), cause I did a HARD refresh and its still saying 20x20 on the generated thumbnail size. Are you rebuilding the SHOWCASE THUMBS or the core xenforo attachment thumbnails?

Selection_093.png

na, rebuilding core attachments won't do anything. A lot of people make the mistake of rebuilding attachment thumbs and not rebuilding Showcase thumbnails.

You have some kinda server cache, so just need to wait until that clears.

na, rebuilding core attachments won't do anything. A lot of people make the mistake of rebuilding attachment thumbs and not rebuilding Showcase thumbnails.

You have some kinda server cache, so just need to wait until that clears.

Okay I'll check it later. Thanks Bob! ;)

ok, it should have updated by now. The thumbs are still 20x20, so they are either not being rebuilt OR you are using a CDN that is not being updated properly. What Server Cache are you using and are you using any of the popular attachments addons like [bd] attachment store to store image files in a CDN?

ok, it should have updated by now. The thumbs are still 20x20, so they are either not being rebuilt OR you are using a CDN that is not being updated properly. What Server Cache are you using and are you using any of the popular attachments addons like [bd] attachment store to store image files in a CDN?

Sorry for the late response. I'm using xencache addon and cloudflare.

About the rss, it's okay now.

Hi @Bob ,

I thought, the RSS icon was showing up but I was looking at the default style. Now when I checked my current style, it doesn't work after all. :( I uploaded all the files of showcase to my current style but it's still not showing up. Where does the RSS icon exactly located?

Showcase uses the Core XenForo sprite sheet for the RSS Icon. Its probably due to your 3rd party style removing that sprint sheet and using a custom one OR using Font Awesome instead. You MIGHT be able to just copy the core xf sprite sheet into your custom style.

default....
/styles/default/xenforo/xenforo-ui-sprite.png

3rd party style...
/styles/3rdpartystyle/xenforo/xenforo-ui-sprite.png

with that said, the next version of showcase replaces the sprite with FontAwesome anyway (moving away from using images... either Font Awesome or CSS generated)

Back