• REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS:

Your username here MUST MATCH your XenForo username (connected to your XF license).

Once you have registered here, then you need to start a conversation at xenforo.com w/Bob and provide the following:
    1. Your XenForo License Validation Token
    2. The Domain Name associated with the License
    NOTE: Your account will be validated once ALL requirements are verified/met. Thank you for your patience.

Implemented Season Management vs Pools having their own weeks/games

Bob

Developer
Staff member
Im opening this up for discussion as its something I want to do, however, it will effect the past (History), so for those of you that keep historical data, it will probably require some manual updating on your part post upgrade. I won't know the FULL effects on the historical stuff until I really dig into it tho.

This is a much needed change to Pickem IMO. I personally don't care about past season stuff as we have a Hall of Fame thread anyway that contains data from when we did things manual, at Yahoo, at ESPN etc..

Anyway, sound off either way to let me know if its a concern or just do it :)

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Made some major headway on this over the weekend, still a ways to go, but its starting to shape up. Overcame some major hurdles by completely re writing a bunch of code from scratch vs trying to "tweak" existing code. It took a lot of additional time, but it was worth it in the end.

Will keep those that are waiting for this updated as best as I can and if you are one of those that are waiting and have questions, feel free to ASK (either in the thread or private).

Anyone available for Beta Testing that has a DEVELOPMENT instance that they can test not only the new functionality, but the UPGRADE as well? You'll need to be able to rollback your dev environment to test the upgrade multiple times... also, the upgrade testing requires at least 3 pools with at least 3 weeks that have a few games with at least 3 players. (all dummy data of course).

Here are some screen shots of the new SEASON Administration that replaces the Weeks/Game Administration from within Pools.

Sport Management now has TWO sub management tools (Teams and Seasons). Every sport has a "season", so it just made sense to move the administration out of the pool and into the sport itself to prevent redundancy.

Selection_283.png

The Season Management view lists all the existing "SEASONS", allows you to create new Seasons and has a link to the WEEKS for that particular Season.
Selection_284.png

A Season is just a NAME associated to a Sport (and has a unique Season ID (added by the system).

Selection_287.png

Week Management is the SAME as it was in previous versions, cept it now falls under a SEASON instead of a POOL.
Selection_285.png

Game Management is pretty much the same as previous versions cept now it handle all 3 Types of pools at once (Normal, Spread and Draw). When you create a GAME, you now add ALL information pertaining to that game (ie, the spread). When you SCORE the game, the system will create a Game Winner and a Game Winner Spread (You can see that I have 2 columns showing the 2 separate winners). Game Winner Spread is only used for SPREAD POOLS. It doesn't have ANY effect on Draw Pools or Normal Pools (which only use Game Winner). If you do now enter a SPREAD, it treats it as a PK (pick, which means straight up, like normal pool). If you don't use spreads, just ignore it as its only used for Spread Pools.

Selection_286.png

Reactions: MjF
Lets look at some of the Pool Management changes..

The Pool Management listing lists each POOL, its status (Open, Close, Final or Pending). It has links to Players Management and Weekly Winners Management (NEW).

Selection_288.png

This is a NEW function that used to be part of the WEEK Management, but since a Week now belongs to a SEASON, I needed to come up with an easy way for POOLS to each have their OWN Weekly Winners. The Weeks correlate with the Weeks that belong to the Season. As you see below, it also lists the winners on the listing page (a "-" means no player ID exists for that place). Click on the week to edit that week.

Selection_289.png
Just a super simple interface to add the User ID's for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place for that week, for that POOL.

Selection_290.png

There are some minor changes in the Create Pool. The first being that you now choose a SEASON to associate with the Pool (this is how the Pool gets its WEEKS and GAMES). When you first create a POOL, it will put that pool in a PENDING Status. This allows you to make CHANGES to that pool (in case you change your mind or made a mistake). As you can see, I've added RED TEXT warning you that once you OPEN the Pool, the SEASON and POOL TYPE CAN NOT be changed... ie, you can't be on week 4 and decide that you want to change the SEASON (that would be retarded and I've removed the ability to do that). Same with the Pool Type... you can't start a pool in NORMAL and then decide to switch it to SPREAD (or Draw). The TYPE of pool is VITAL with specific functionality for that TYPE.

Selection_291.png

Here you can see that the SEASON and Pool Type are no longer able to be changed.

Selection_292.png

Reactions: MjF
And Finally, the question I get asked the most, HOW does the UPGRADE work to convert Legacy Data (which means existing data in the system added through the current architecture) into the new Architecture/Schema.

I'll try and explain this the best I can.

Since there are no SEASONS, we have to create them somehow for the legacy Pools. So what I've done in the upgrade is developed some code that would create a SEASON for each existing POOL (since each pool in the existing system is basically its own season). So after the upgrade has RUN, all your "SEASONS" will have the same NAME as your existing Pools (you can change the NAMES of the seasons and pools post upgrade). All the Weeks and Games for each pool are then attached to the new season created for that pool (along with lookup tables created with legacy data converted). This takes care of any LEGACY data you have in the system.

You CAN NOT merge any existing pools together. If you have already entered the 2015 NFL Regular Season multiple times for multiple pools, the easiest thing to do is keep ONE of the multiple 2015 seasons (delete the others), then edit the pool record and change the SEASON ID to the one Season that you kept (if this is over your head, then send me an inbox as I can do this for you. You don't need to delete the pool (as you'd lose all that joined so far).
NOTE: THIS IS ONLY POSSIBLE IF THE SEASON HAS NOT YET STARTED!

THIS ONLY PERTAINS TO LEGACY DATA (former seasons that have already started or are complete).

If you don't understand this, then send me an inbox.

Looking good!, cracking work as always @Bob - will try and get a bit of spare time to throw the new release on my DEV site and have a play:)

Reactions: Bob
Looking good!, cracking work as always @Bob - will try and get a bit of spare time to throw the new release on my DEV site and have a play:)
right on!! Being that you use Survivor, you should understand the "Season" management as its basically the same concept.

Back