• REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS:

Your username here MUST MATCH your XenForo username (connected to your XF license).

Once you have registered here, then you need to start a conversation at xenforo.com w/Bob and provide the following:
    1. Your XenForo License Validation Token
    2. The Domain Name associated with the License
    NOTE: Your account will be validated once ALL requirements are verified/met. Thank you for your patience.

Implemented Discussion Thread Integration

Bob

Developer
Staff member
During Beta testing, it was brought up that instead of having a comments system, it would be better if each item had its own discussion thread (similar to the resource manager).

This is being considered and is currently being researched.

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Just a quick updated on development.

You are now able to associate a discussion forum to a showcase category (via a simple drop down forum select on the category edit view). Once you do that, all new items created for that category will have a discussion thread automatically created for them. If you do not select a forum for a particular category, it simply skips the thread creation process. This can be enabled and disabled at any point in time per each individual category (and can be switched as well). NO, there is not a "Global" on and off. You have to administer each category.

Items that have already been created can be edited and associated with an existing thread simply by editing the thread_id field on the Item edit view (most likely going to permission this). Now, there ARE some checks and balances involved like not assigning the same thread to more than one item (which is probably why I am going to permission this) lol.

One thing that you MUST be aware of is Forum Permissions and Showcase are NOT hooked together. So when you assign Discussion Forums to Showcase Categories, make sure you set your permissions accordingly ie, don't give access to one and not the other lol If you give a user group permission to create a showcase item and that category is associated with a discussion forum, then you need to make sure that the same user group can create threads :D (this is common sense).

Still a looooooooooooooooooooooooooon way to go on this, but its coming together nicely :)

Right now it just tosses in some raw text. my thought process is similar to how the RM does it. Won't know until I get to that part. You'll probably have to end up tweaking it to do exactly what you want in the end.

Right now it just tosses in some raw text. my thought process is similar to how the RM does it. Won't know until I get to that part. You'll probably have to end up tweaking it to do exactly what you want in the end.

So excited Bob... thanks a bunch for giving this a shot.

Reactions: Bob
So excited Bob... thanks a bunch for giving this a shot.

Its been pretty challenging so far (and still is). There are just so many different things that have to be done and taken into consideration. I THINK I have most of the major things covered, but won't know until beta testing time and more than just my eyes are testing it. So much involved with this next update (lots of major functionality)

I know this solution wouldn't work for most, but I created a custom field so I could have discussion thread integration now. In my system the thread has to be manually created but then the user or admin needs to just put the thread URL into the item and it creates a link at the bottom of the showcase item.

I just launched my showcase today, but you can see an example of how I did discussion thread integration here:

http://backcountrypost.com/forum/index.php?trail-guides/priord-lake.4/
Your theme is very beautiful.

what a royal pain this has been (and still is). First person that complains about this is going to be on my shit list lol

If this gets implemented, I guess it would be possible to promote a showcase thread using things like XenPorta?

Well, I am able to promote a showcase thread and it displays in the Recent News Block, so I assume its working lol I don't use XenPorta, so you will have to let me know :)

Hey Bob... question would it be easy enough to designate a set prefix or even manipulate the thread title so like... every thread that gets created could be like... Showcase Item Name - Review

I'd like to manually add - Review to all the thread titles, I haven't really thought it out too much but just thinking out loud a tiny bit :D

Its easy enough to append that during thread creation, but it would be stored in the thread table and wouldn't effect the Showcase Title (which is what is displayed at the top of an associated thread). The thread title would only be seen in "Whats New!" and on the Thread listings and what not. You can also edit the template that display the info at the top of the thread and manually add in - review so that it always displays (same with any template that displays titles). It shouldn't be that hard to do with a little tweaking.

Would it be possible to have a preview of the image embedded into the discussion thread instead of the image link.

Can I pay to have this custom tweak done for me?

Would it be possible to have a preview of the image embedded into the discussion thread instead of the image link.

Can I pay to have this custom tweak done for me?

Not sure if that is possible or not. I'd have to experiment with attachments and then there are permissions involved. Could get messy. I've got a few idea's in my head, but I don't want to discuss them until I've had time to make a prototype to see if its even possible lol

Hi Bob,

I had an idea that you could use the URL that is created for the image then wrap it in IMG tags to display it in the discussion thread. Let the users forum settings resize it if needed.

Here is my example, maybe it helps, cheers :)

http://teameuropeclan.com/threads/end-game-air-superiority-screenshot.657/

Code:
[IMG]http://teameuropeclan.com/attachments/47019_555446127813759_1345324341_n-jpg.473/[/IMG]

47019_555446127813759_1345324341_n-jpg.473

Back