• REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS:

Your username here MUST MATCH your XenForo username (connected to your XF license).

Once you have registered here, then you need to start a conversation at xenforo.com w/Bob and provide the following:
    1. Your XenForo License Validation Token
    2. The Domain Name associated with the License
    NOTE: Your account will be validated once ALL requirements are verified/met. Thank you for your patience.

Article field search

CarpCharacin

AMS
Showcase
I just noticed now that the article field search is missing for some reason, and I can't figure out why.article search.PNG

Its not a feature that you ENABLE/DISABLE. its a feature that is driven by SEARCHABLE and FILTERABLE Custom Fields.

First thing to understand is that its a CATEGORY PAGE feature (meaning that its only available on Category Pages).

If you are viewing a Category Page that has any Custom Fields associated with that Category that are Searchable/Filterable AND are a Filterable Type field, then the Refine By System will be available for that Category.

Only Fields that are FILTERABLE are used by the Refine By system. You need to edit the Field, Click on the General Options Tab and make sure that the "Field is Searchable" (new version says "Field is Searchable or Filterable") is CHECKED.

Then you need to understand what happens to the specific field type.

TEXT type fields are "Searchable" and are indexed in Search with the Article text itself (this is something that I just posted about that is available in the upcoming release).

Select, MultiSelect, Radio and Checkbox type fields will be enabled for FILTERING via the Refine by system on Category Pages that are associated with the field.

Rating Fields and Data Picker Fields are currently NOT Searchable and NOT Filterable.

So as far as how to "enable it". It starts with making sure that any of your Select, MultiSelect , Radio and Checkbox fields are Enabled as "Searchable" as well as associated with Categories. Then go to a Category that you know is associated with some Fields and you will see the Refine By feature.

OH... There is a PERMISSION associated with searching Custom Fields. That needs to be set as well.

Then you need to understand what happens to the specific field type.

TEXT type fields are "Searchable" and are indexed in Search with the Article text itself (this is something that I just posed about that is available in the upcoming release).

Select, MultiSelect, Radio and Checkbox type fields will be enabled for FILTERING via the Refine by system on Category Pages that are associated with the field.

Rating Fields and Data Picker Fields are currently NOT Searchable and NOT Filterable.

The field in your screen shot is a TEXT field. Text fields are NOT Filterable and there for are not available in the Refine By feature. Text Fields WILL BE (in the next release) indexed for search.

Only Select, MultiSelect, Radio and Checkbox type fields will be enabled for FILTERING via the Refine by system on Category Pages that are associated with the field.

Selection_286.png

Can you post a screen shot of the Custom Article Fields Index so that I can see all of your Article Fields and what TYPE of field they are. So far, you've only shown me a TEXT INPUT field (which doesn't work with the refine by system), so I need to first verify that you even have fields that can be used by the refine by system (as I've explained multiple times now, only certain field types are used by the Refine By System). I posted a screen shot above explaining this and you didn't even bother responding to let me know if you have any field types other than TEXT INPUT fields.

I thought you said that you would add support for text fields in AMS 1.6.6.
I did, however, I clearly stated that Text Fields would be indexed in search: Updated - Article Fields: Text input fields are now indexed in search if Field is searchable

SEARCHABLE = XenForo Keyword Search System
  • Single-line text box
  • Multi-line text box
  • Rich text box

FILTERABLE = Refine By System
  • Drop down selection
  • Radio Buttons
  • Check Boxes
  • Multiple-choice drop down selection

Rating Fields and Date Picker Fields are currently neither (they will both eventually be FILTERABLE).

That's a shame, because with the old version, you could filter through fish species using the common name, scientific name, family, ease of keeping, etc. Sure you can enter the scientific name into the search box and it will give you a result, but you can't filter through multiple criteria at once like you could before.

Last edited:
with the old version, you could filter
You could NEVER Filter by custom fields before. FILTERING is something BRAND NEW and is done via the Refine By System.

The OLD TEMPORARY "Field Search" system mimicked a KEY WORD SEARCH for Text Input Fields. It was a bastard system that was always meant as a temp solution until TEXT type Fields could be properly INDEXED in XenForo Search with the Article Text input fields (message, description etc).

If you want FILTERING, you will need to use FILTERABLE field types instead of SEARCHABLE (Text Input) field types.

Another option is to hire a developer to extend the REFINE BY System to include the ability to "Search" via text input fields (they would have to have a high level of xf knowledge tho).

Back