• REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS:

Your username here MUST MATCH your XenForo username (connected to your XF license).

Once you have registered here, then you need to start a conversation at xenforo.com w/Bob and provide the following:
    1. Your XenForo License Validation Token
    2. The Domain Name associated with the License
    NOTE: Your account will be validated once ALL requirements are verified/met. Thank you for your patience.

Relational custom fields

Traveling Tartar

SC Premium
Sorry, I was having a hard time finding the right title. I'm stuck.

In a perfect world, this is what I need and I don't know how to do it or if it can be done or if it should be a feature.

Imagine for a moment that you use Showcase to feature a dance workout. Then imagine that you feature several of them, each with say 50 different 'moves' taken from a library of 1000 moves. If you don't want to picture dance, imagine a car with limitless accessory options.

I would like to be able to create these unique dance workouts and somehow have each workout be able to 'pull' a set of custom moves from a hierarchical set of moves.

As I see it, for now, I could create a custom field with 1000 checkboxes (if Showcase/Xenforo would even support that) and then for each workout I would check off the relevant moves. Seems nightmarish.

So what's the solution? In the world of relational databases this would be simple, obviously. I could create one file/stack for the workouts and another with the moves which could be subdivided into categories (just for illustration purposes say: leg moves, arm moves, full body moves, etc...). I would create Dance Workout 1 and assign 45 moves to it and voila. In Showcase, not so easy. Or is it. Is there a way to develop a more complex custom field system that allows us to assign multiple, hierarchical features?

Going to have a whiskey now, i think I need it ;-)

I just realized that I had a much more elegant way of saying this:
A multi-tier feature set!

**edit**

Just had another thought. Would there be any way to 'nest' one showcase item within another, i.e. being able to somehow 'include' items from another category into a top item. That would solve my problem. I would create one category with items and then within the items of that category, say one of the tabs, could have a listing of links to other items in another category. I guess i could do it manually, link by link, but considering the number of links for each item, that would be my last last last resort.

Last edited:
Custom ITEM Fields and Custom REVIEW Fields are just low level non complex display fields. The system isn't designed to perform complex operations (just simple display only type operations). It would take more time and effort to modify the existing custom fields system to do complex operations than it would to extend showcase and do the custom development directly (which is really the best way to do it).

Back