• REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS:

Your username here MUST MATCH your XenForo username (connected to your XF license).

Once you have registered here, then you need to start a conversation at xenforo.com w/Bob and provide the following:
    1. Your XenForo License Validation Token
    2. The Domain Name associated with the License
    NOTE: Your account will be validated once ALL requirements are verified/met. Thank you for your patience.

Implemented Make teams historical by adding an option to set whether a team is active or inactive

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Looking into this right now and its not as straight forward as we originally discussed. Its looking like there are TWO completely separate issues (one that involves Pickem & Survivor and the other that only involves Survivor).

Its probably going to require 2 additional inputs on the add/edit team form. One for setting a team as "inactive" (which effects both Pickem and Survivor) as well as an additional input (exclude from Survivor), which would only be used to exclude an Active Team from being available in Survivor (an example of this is Team AFC and Team NFC which are used for the Pro Bowl in Pickem, however, those are not regular season teams that you want available in Survivor). There are other use cases as well.

Not sure this is even doable yet, so don't get too excited lol

This has been implemented in Pickem 2.2.0 Beta 4.

I want to emphasize that this functionality is not a PERMANENT ACTION... eg, setting a team to INACTIVE is not permanent, you can set a team to Inactive and then at a later time, make that team active again. Comes in handy for Sports like the Premier League where a team might get relegated and then after the next season, might get promoted again. Its also handy for Sports like NFL that have a Pro Bowl which is conference against conference, so (as you see in the image below), I have two teams that represent the conference and those are only used during the play off pools (so I make them inactive during the regular season). Anyway... just wanted to point that out.

As you can see, the Team listing page will now have 2 separate sections, one for Active Teams (on the top) and one for Inactive teams (on the bottom).

Selection_388.png

The Add team and Edit team forms now have 2 new inputs (Team status and Exclude from survivor).

Team status: This option lets you set whether the team is ACTIVE (for use during the current season(s)) or INACTIVE, meaning that the team is not available for use within the current season(s)). This is mainly used for backend administration, however, setting a team to inactive effects survivor (the listing of available teams will only display active teams)

Note: This does not effect previous seasons on the frontend... eg, if you set Oakland Raiders to Inactive and you view any previous seasons, you will still see the Oakland Raiders.

Exclude from survivor: This option lets you exclude an active team (inactive teams are already excluded) from the listing of Available teams in Survivor. This comes in handy to hide teams like NFC and AFC (used for conference vs conference games).

Selection_389.png

As you can see here, the listing of Available teams does not include any of the inactive teams listed above.

Selection_390.png

So what does setting a team to inactive do? The main thing is that on the Add game and Add games forms, the dropdown lists for Visitor team and Home team only include ACTIVE teams.

Selection_391.png

Selection_392.png

But what about EDITING a game? Well, games are both CURRENT season and PAST seasons, so for historical purposes, inactive teams are still TEAMS in the system that have history (viewable on the frontend), so the dropdown HAS to include both Active and Inactive teams... Sooooo... as you can see, what I've done is split the dropdown list into 2 groups (Active teams and Inactive teams).

Note: In 10 years, I've never had to edit a GAME and change a team on my LIVE SITE, so I highly doubt that this is even going to be noticed (unless you are messing around playing with the system on your development instance). Still, its nice to at least have some separation (for sanity sake).

Selection_393.png

Thats pretty much it. The MAIN two things to this is the displaying of ACTIVE TEAMS only on the Add game and Add games input forms as well as being able to exclude teams from the Available Teams block on Survivor.

This has been implemented in Pickem 2.2.0 Beta 4.

I want to emphasize that this functionality is not a PERMANENT ACTION... eg, setting a team to INACTIVE is not permanent, you can set a team to Inactive and then at a later time, make that team active again. Comes in handy for Sports like the Premier League where a team might get relegated and then after the next season, might get promoted again. Its also handy for Sports like NFL that have a Pro Bowl which is conference against conference, so (as you see in the image below), I have two teams that represent the conference and those are only used during the play off pools (so I make them inactive during the regular season). Anyway... just wanted to point that out.

As you can see, the Team listing page will now have 2 separate sections, one for Active Teams (on the top) and one for Inactive teams (on the bottom).

View attachment 6618

The Add team and Edit team forms now have 2 new inputs (Team status and Exclude from survivor).

Team status: This option lets you set whether the team is ACTIVE (for use during the current season(s)) or INACTIVE, meaning that the team is not available for use within the current season(s)). This is mainly used for backend administration, however, setting a team to inactive effects survivor (the listing of available teams will only display active teams)

Note: This does not effect previous seasons on the frontend... eg, if you set Oakland Raiders to Inactive and you view any previous seasons, you will still see the Oakland Raiders.

Exclude from survivor: This option lets you exclude an active team (inactive teams are already excluded) from the listing of Available teams in Survivor. This comes in handy to hide teams like NFC and AFC (used for conference vs conference games).

View attachment 6617

As you can see here, the listing of Available teams does not include any of the inactive teams listed above.

View attachment 6616

So what does setting a team to inactive do? The main thing is that on the Add game and Add games forms, the dropdown lists for Visitor team and Home team only include ACTIVE teams.

View attachment 6621

View attachment 6620

But what about EDITING a game? Well, games are both CURRENT season and PAST seasons, so for historical purposes, inactive teams are still TEAMS in the system that have history (viewable on the frontend), so the dropdown HAS to include both Active and Inactive teams... Sooooo... as you can see, what I've done is split the dropdown list into 2 groups (Active teams and Inactive teams).

Note: In 10 years, I've never had to edit a GAME and change a team on my LIVE SITE, so I highly doubt that this is even going to be noticed (unless you are messing around playing with the system on your development instance). Still, its nice to at least have some separation (for sanity sake).

View attachment 6619

Thats pretty much it. The MAIN two things to this is the displaying of ACTIVE TEAMS only on the Add game and Add games input forms as well as being able to exclude teams from the Available Teams block on Survivor.

This is a great update Bob. When I put the suggestion to you it very simple but the way its been handled is superb and covers all outcomes. Brilliant work. Ill add this to my test board and let you know of any issues.

Just to report back @Bob. This works a treat in every aspect you posted above. Great addition to tidy things up. Thanks for the update.

Reactions: Bob
Back