• REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS:

Your username here MUST MATCH your XenForo username (connected to your XF license).

Once you have registered here, then you need to start a conversation at xenforo.com w/Bob and provide the following:
    1. Your XenForo License Validation Token
    2. The Domain Name associated with the License
    NOTE: Your account will be validated once ALL requirements are verified/met. Thank you for your patience.

Implemented Global & Category RSS Feeds For Showcase Items

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Is this really needed? Not sure about this. Will mark it as open for discussion. Please provide some solid case studies to support adding this.

RSS feeds are important for search engine optimization as our feeds can be imported to our Twitter, Facebook and Tumblr. People on Twitter, Facebook and Tumblr can easily find our showcase articles when they do a search on that site, with hashtags or just by adding you to their own page and seeing your latest showcase news on their wall. RSS feeds are the best way to keep members updated and gain potential new members from social networking sites.

Can you show me examples of other "Showcase" type application that has RSS Feeds?

btw, I don't want to be pointed to a BLOGS or ARTICLES app. Those are not "Showcase" apps.

Can you show me examples of other "Showcase" type application that has RSS Feeds?

btw, I don't want to be pointed to a BLOGS or ARTICLES app. Those are not "Showcase" apps.
The way showcase can be used as an articles or blog system like wordpress due to use of featured images and ratings is similar to the most popular blog software in the world, wordpress which also has a good RSS feed system.

Again, Showcase is NOT a "Articles" system, nor is it a "BLOG" system. I don't want case studies supporting functionality that would be a core part of THOSE types of systems. I understand that BLOGS software has a need for it. Showcase is NOT a BLOGS addons.

Again, Showcase is NOT a "Articles" system, nor is it a "BLOG" system. I don't want case studies supporting functionality that would be a core part of THOSE types of systems. I understand that BLOGS software has a need for it. Showcase is NOT a BLOGS addons.
Okay. Showcasing stuff is easier when you get as many people as possible to see it, that's why RSS is so important. Our threads have RSS for example so that we can get as many people as possible to see our topics. The same thought should apply to showcase which is more important than threads because it's like hey look at me I'm special check out my showcase item.

Do people really use RSS for forum threads though? I personally only use it for keeping an eye on important stuff, such as outage notifications from my server provider, or updates to Cpanel/WHM.

If I want to see threads on a forum site, I'll browse for them.

Is RSS really that important for SEO?

Seach in google for "vxr showcase"

My showcase item on my site is on the first page of results. Not bad for something that I've had installed and running less than a month.

Do people really use RSS for forum threads though? I personally only use it for keeping an eye on important stuff, such as outage notifications from my server provider, or updates to Cpanel/WHM.

If I want to see threads on a forum site, I'll browse for them.

Is RSS really that important for SEO?

Seach in google for "vxr showcase"

My showcase item on my site is on the first page of results. Not bad for something that I've had installed and running less than a month.
If you attach your forum threads RSS to your Twitter, Facebook and/or Tumblr then yes people use the links that come from your Twitter, Facebook and Tumblr that were imported through your RSS to view the site, sign up etc. Without RSS this cannot be done. So the real question is do people really use Twitter, Facebook and Tumblr to view forum threads? Yes. How is that possible? Automatically through RSS or manually. RSS >Manually posting links. I gets lots of visits and new members from this method. Don't underestimate the popularity of Twitter, Facebook and Tumblr. Once you connect your sites to those Social Networks they will grow. There's a lot of dead forums out there that would come alive after maximizing the potential of their RSS feed. Your forum RSS feed generated links are searchable in Twitter even if you don't use hashtags. :eek:

Hmm, that sounds quite interesting. I've just set up feedburner and started to pull my site announcement RSS into it, and set it to post them back to the forum twitter account.

Reactions: DRE
Hmm, that sounds quite interesting. I've just set up feedburner and started to pull my site announcement RSS into it, and set it to post them back to the forum twitter account.
You're on the right track if your using feedburner. Feedburner comes with tracking and enhances your site's search relevance with SmartFeed and Pingshot which in turns, increases traffic.

Screenshot of a typical search on Twitter, notice how this forum thread comes up during the search.

http://www.8thos.com/threads/miguel-and-nazanin-mandi.19504/

nazinin.jpg

Marked as Partially Implemented as I still have some TESTING to do. There is a Showcase RSS feed that is just like Global RSS for Xenforo (covers ALL Items within ALL Categories). Each Category also has its own RSS Feed which is similar to xf Forums, cept that it maintains the category Hierarchy (ie, Items from sub categories are displayed in the parent).

The Content Snippet length is a showcase global option (so you can set a different snippet length for showcase vs using the length for discussion threads). It does share the Read Marking Data Lifetime (Days) setting for Threads, Discussions and Conversations tho.

I've added the RSS Icon to the Quick Stats blocks on Showcase Index an Category Pages. When on Showcase Index, the RSS Link is Global, meaning ALL visible items within Showcase. When viewing a Category, the RSS Link will be Category specific, meaning only items within that category will be included in the feed (maintains Categorical Hierarchy ie, categories include items from all child cats).
rss-icon.PNG

NOTE: Properties for the icon and its opacity are controlled via the same style vars for core XF RSS icon.

Back