• REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS:

Your username here MUST MATCH your XenForo username (connected to your XF license).

Once you have registered here, then you need to start a conversation at xenforo.com w/Bob and provide the following:
    1. Your XenForo License Validation Token
    2. The Domain Name associated with the License
    NOTE: Your account will be validated once ALL requirements are verified/met. Thank you for your patience.

Implemented Convert Thread to Article

Bob

Developer
Staff member
As per title, I've implemented a "Keep It Simple Stupid" feature that allows Staff with the Forum Moderator Permission "AMS: Convert thread to article".

Selection_259.png

When the viewing user is a Moderator that has the above permission AND the discussion thread is of the Thread Type "discussion' or 'article', then there will be a link in the More options dropdown titled "AMS: Convert thread to article" (as shown in the image).

Selection_260.png

Clicking on the link will launch an overlay that allows the Moderator to select the destination category, set tags (if the thread has any tags, they are pre-set, however, they can be removed and different tags can be added), with options to notify members watching the destination category as well as notifying the author of the action.

Selection_261.png

Once you click confirm, the convert service is triggered, which will result in a new article being created based on content from the Thread and the First Post of the thread.

The publish date will be set to the post date of the thread. The user will be set as the Thread Creator. Tags will be set (if any are added), view count will be set based on the thread view count. If the first post has any attachments, those will be converted to Article Attachments. If the first post contains at least 1 image attachment, a cover image will be set (uses the first image attachment in the collections of attachments).

The thread is then associated to the article by setting the discussion_type to 'ams_article'.

Selection_262.png

Here you can see that the first post attachments are converted to Article attachments.

Selection_263.png

In this shot, you can see that the new article has a cover image set (as explained above).

Selection_264.png

Note: The First Post of the thread will be modified to contain the same text as an associated thread has when auto created.

Note 2: This feature is not designed to be an importer, so expecting complex import type functions like posts being imported to article comments and first post reactions being converted to article reactions is not going to happen.

Upvote 2
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Very nice, very nice Bob!

Thank you so much for implementing this.

This is going to be revolutionary for my site.

Great work as always!!

Reactions: Bob
Very nice, very nice Bob!

Thank you so much for implementing this.

This is going to be revolutionary for my site.

Great work as always!!
Being that it is still Beta, can you please provide me feedback or any bugs? Thank you in advance :)

Being that it is still Beta, can you please provide me feedback or any bugs? Thank you in advance :)

Of course my friend!

I'm going to update my XF to the last version and update AMS after.

Give me some days and I'm going to give you a full report and feedback about this great new feature.

I've converted 21 announcements to articles now, and have not had any issues at all.

Hello Bob! How are you doing?

After some testing, i can assure there is no errors in my server, or bugs. Just some 'loopholes' or suggestion to improve the feature.

I can convert any thread (any type [Article, Default Threads]) to an AMS Article.

The converted article AMS comes automatically with the discussion thread (old thread), that i can remove/delete, but i cannot choose an Article Type Thread to be the Discussion (as designed, probably).

I can suggest that the Auto Discussion Thread after conversion can be optional, since we have the comment box bellow the new AMS Article.

Until now, no further more to report.

Congratulations on this new feature Bob.

but i cannot choose an Article Type Thread to be the Discussion (as designed, probably).
This is AS Designed, only the Thread Type "Discussion" can be set as associated via the "Change discussion thread" function of AMS (same with the XenForo Resource Manager).

As for the Convert Thread to Article, if you convert an Thread that is the Thread Type "Article", the Thread Type is change to 'ams_article' (which is a special thread type specifically for AMS, just like the thread type 'resource' is a special thread type for the XenForo Resource Manager).

This is BRILLIANT, I had to copy and paste previously, but to have "convert to article" functionality is brilliant, thank you @Bob

Merry Christmas, officially is in the uk :)

Great Bob, really important feature. I was waiting this from many time, so soon (when I will have some fund...) I will buy another license of the plugin and renew the one I just has.
Thanks for the implementation.

Great Bob, really important feature. I was waiting this from many time, so soon (when I will have some fund...) I will buy another license of the plugin and renew the one I just has.
Thanks for the implementation.
Good to see you! Hope all is well with you and your family. Happy New Year :)

Back