• REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS:

Your username here MUST MATCH your XenForo username (connected to your XF license).

Once you have registered here, then you need to start a conversation at xenforo.com w/Bob and provide the following:
    1. Your XenForo License Validation Token
    2. The Domain Name associated with the License
    NOTE: Your account will be validated once ALL requirements are verified/met. Thank you for your patience.

Add prefix when Create Thread in Forum

Sunka

Showcase
We have option to choose prefix when showcase create thread in forum, but we have option to choose just one prefix from list.
I have situation when showcase category have same list of possible prefixes like forum category where thread is created.

is it possible some "magic" solution that thread in forum category automatically choose same prefix like showcase category item have?

Im not sure I understand your question, so I will explain how Showcase works.

A Showcase Category has an option named "Create Thread in Forum" and that option is a drop down select that lets you choose a Forum. When a Forum is selected and a Showcase Item is created in that category, an associated discussion thread will be created in that selected Forum.

A Showcase Category has an option named "Add Prefix to Thread" and that option is a drop down select that lets you choose a Thread Prefix. The Thread Prefixes that are listed in the drop down are only those that are available to the Forum that you selected in the "Create Thread in Forum" option. When you set a thread prefix in this option, it will force that thread prefix on associated discussion threads when they are created (it won't effect already created threads).

These options are set on a Per Category basis.

Selection_086.png

The "Prefix Options" Tab of a Showcase Category has NOTHING to do with Discussion Threads. That Tab is for Showcase Item Prefixes, not Thread Prefixes (two completely different systems). You can't set a Showcase Item Prefix on a Discussion thread (nor can you set a Thread Prefix on a Showcase Item).

Selection_087.png

Yep, I understand all that.
This one quoted bellow was the point.
You can't set a Showcase Item Prefix on a Discussion thread (nor can you set a Thread Prefix on a Showcase Item)

I try to create showcase with mushrooms. Discussion threads will be automatically created in Mushroom subforum.
Both showcase and mushroom forum have same set of prefixes (edible, not edible, deadly).
User can set prefix for showcase item when creating it, but in ACP for automatically created discussion thread I can set only one default prefix for all of threads.
So, for now, only solution for that case is set no prefix at all for automatically created discussion threads and set it manually.

but in ACP for automatically created discussion thread I can set only one default prefix for all of threads.
That is not true. Each CATEGORY can have a different Thread Prefix. The discussion thread prefix is set on a PER CATEGORY basis.

Category A
-- Create threads in Forum G
-- Set Prefix X

Category B
-- Set Prefix Y

Category C
-- Set Prefix Z

As you can see, all 3 of those categories are created threads in the same discussion forum, however, each category has a different thread prefix set.

That is how showcase works (which is the same way as the XFRM works).

I have a feeling that what you want but are having a hard time explaing is for the Showcase Author to be able to set BOTH the Showcase Item Prefix AND the Associated Discussion Thread Prefix on the Item CREATE form (and Item Edit Form). If that is what you want, that will require Custom Development (which would require some pretty extensive code).

I have a feeling that what you want but are having a hard time explaing is for the Showcase Author to be able to set BOTH the Showcase Item Prefix AND the Associated Discussion Thread Prefix on the Item CREATE form (and Item Edit Form). If that is what you want, that will require Custom Development (which would require some pretty extensive code).

Sorry pull this thread out again. Do we have any solution for now? We got exactly the same issue now.

We define local cities as Categories and use prefix to define different events. For example
Category Toronto
-Sub-Cat North York
-- Prefix: party
-- prefix: hiking
-Sub-Cat Downtown

Category Ottawa

Category Hamilton

Now, when an item created in any SC category, we can set the thread to be created in the Form "Ontario Events" with all categories and sub-categories.

Our problem is we can only set the prefix to be either "party" or "hiking" for particular area, can't be not both. That means only can be "party" for Downtown or only "hiking" for Hamilton. Is there any way to automatically "transfer" the prefix for an item in SC to the prefix of created thread in Form?

Do we have any solution for now?
Solution to what exactly?

What the OP wanted to do was to be able to set BOTH the Showcase Item Prefix AND the Associated Discussion Thread Prefix on the Create Showcase Forum. He confirmed that's what he wanted to do and I let him know that it would require custom development. That still stands.

Back