• REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS:

Your username here MUST MATCH your XenForo username (connected to your XF license).

Once you have registered here, then you need to start a conversation at xenforo.com w/Bob and provide the following:
    1. Your XenForo License Validation Token
    2. The Domain Name associated with the License
    NOTE: Your account will be validated once ALL requirements are verified/met. Thank you for your patience.

Answered Can links in LD have more than one category?

smallwheels

AMS
LD
It would often be helpful if certain links could be shown in more than one category. Is this possible (and if so how) or is it strictly hierarchical (1:1)?

Solution
It would often be helpful if certain links could be shown in more than one category. Is this possible (and if so how) or is it strictly hierarchical (1:1)?
I use the Core XF Category System (same one that XFRM and XFMG use for Categories). Its a Hierarchical Permissions/Options Based Category System, so no, you can't have a piece of content owned by multiple categories, just a single category.

IIRC, there are a couple of suggestions posted at XenForo.com about this subject (which would apply to any addon that implements and uses the Core XF Hierarchical Category System).

You really only see this kind of content in multiple categories in a FLAT category system (which Core XF does not have).
I use the Core XF Category System (same one that XFRM and XFMG use for Categories). Its a Hierarchical Permissions/Options Based Category System, so no, you can't have a piece of content owned by multiple categories, just a single category.

IIRC, there are a couple of suggestions posted at XenForo.com about this subject (which would apply to any addon that implements and uses the Core XF Hierarchical Category System).

You really only see this kind of content in multiple categories in a FLAT category system (which Core XF does not have).

Solution
no, you can't have a piece of content owned by multiple categories, just a single category.
Thanks! Too bad, this means I can't use LD in the way I hoped.
Which results in limitations like the above or - more common - i.e. in the official Gallery Add On. Would be really nice there to have the photos belonging to the individual user primarily (and stored in their personal photo-bucket) but be able to add them to one or more albums at the same time.
Or - in the case of LD - having the possibility to have links in more than one category. In the end this option ist the advantage of a digital system above an analogue one (and even analoge library catalogues often had this implemented in a very basic way).

Basically, in my opinion, tags are somewhat a flat category system that exists in XenForo. Just that they are not implemented the way I'd need here. ;)

Back