1. REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS:

Register with your xenforo.com Username then start a conversation at xenforo.com w/Bob and provide the following:
    1. Your XenForo License Validation Token
    2. The Domain Name associated with the License
    NOTE: Your account will be validated once ALL requirements are verified/met. Thank you for your patience.

Implemented New Markets.

Discussion in 'Stock Trader Closed Suggestions' started by Edrondol, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Edrondol

Edrondol New Member

I know your posting said you were going to add new markets, but I've had specific requests for the Canadian and Japanese markets, the TMX Group and Tokyo (Nikkei) Stock Exchange specifically.

Any timeframe for adding? (I know this just got released, but my people are loving it!)

2. Bob

Bob Developer Staff Member

Both of those are on the list :) I don't have specific time frames but the next release WILL have more exchanges in it and my goal is to have at least 1 more update before Christmas.

3. Bob

7 New Countries have been added along with 4 new system currencies (Canadian Dollar, Norwegian Krone, Australian Dollar and New Zealand Dollar).

Canada - Toronto Stock Exchange

Australia - Australian Stock Exchange

New Zealand - New Zealand Stock Exchange

Norway - Oslo Stock Exchange

France - Paris Stock Exchange, Euronext

Austria - Vienna Stock Exchange

Netherlands - Amsterdam Stock Exchange

I've been testing all weekend and so far I've not run into any "glitches". Everything is converting properly currency wise. The only issue that I've noticed is that with the addition of 4 new currencies, the updating of the exchanges rates is SLOW and there is nothing that I can do to speed it up because the slowness is on the Data retrieval side of things.. The cron takes between 20-30 seconds to run now compared to about 10-15 with only the 3. If you are like me and have CRON set to update currencies every 15 minutes, there are going to be users that activate the cron and its going to give them a slow render time on their browser (up to 30 seconds). If you have your CRON set to check at much greater intervals, this shouldn't be that big of a deal tho.

4. hlchia

hlchia New Member Showcase

5. Bob

Stock Trader uses the public API from Yahoo! Finance

The only thing that Yahoo! Finance has available in the API is the STRAITS TIMES INDEX (^STI) -SES (which is the Top 30 stocks from the SGX). This was just added recently and I've not had time to monitor it to see how often it changes. The issue with these floating indexes is that stocks can drop out of them at any point and when that happens, those stocks in the system become defunct.

6. hlchia

Where to get info what is avail in Yahoo Finance API? Btw is it realtime or delayed say by 5mins?

For e.g. the following shows a counter that is not in the ^STI index

http://sg.finance.yahoo.com/q?s=Z59.SI

7. Bob

Altho there is a public API, its not supported, there for they don't provide official documentation (so I can't point you to official API documentation).

The frontend live Yahoo! Finance does not run off of the same database as the public API (it has its own internal DB that can not be accessed). The biggest mistake people make when using the API is thinking that the live Yahoo Finance pages are the same Data that is available through the public API and its not. Its not even a replicated snap shot. Its a completely separate Database with different data feeds from the exchanges that allow their information to be used via the public API. This is why you will find stock on the frontend of Yahoo that isn't in the API.

Also, the only Public API is from finance.yahoo.com (not from any countrycode.finance.yahoo.com site)

As far as the delays times, those are all determined by each exchange for Public Data Feeds (not by yahoo or google). They range from Real Time, to delay times of 5/10/15/20/30 minutes. Private Data Feeds (which you have to purchase) are all real time (and are extremely expensive).

8. hlchia

So for Singapore stock exchange, I will only be restricted to the top 30 stocks?

9. Bob

IF I added it, yes. Its not available in Stock Trader and won't be until I trust that the data is stable enough to be included (which at this time, its not).

10. erich37

erich37 Member

How about Hong-Kong ?
    Is there any data API available for that one ?

Thanks!

11. Bob

Hong Kong is not available or I would have added it by now. Trust me, when the most popular exchanges in the world become available, I will be ALL OVER IT.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.