• REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS:

Your username here MUST MATCH your XenForo username (connected to your XF license).

Once you have registered here, then you need to start a conversation at xenforo.com w/Bob and provide the following:
    1. Your XenForo License Validation Token
    2. The Domain Name associated with the License
    NOTE: Your account will be validated once ALL requirements are verified/met. Thank you for your patience.

Implemented Filter items based on custom fields

C

cory_booth

I'm not sure how best to explain this, but I will use my Showcase as an example.

I was asked to find a way to make a Pet Registry for our POA.
The idea, lost pets could be reunited to their owners quicker if photos and decriptions were provided.

As I implement this solution, I thought it would be real nice to make the tabbed areas with mandatory or pre-populated info for user to choose from.

For example...

Showcase / Dogs

Tab = Details
Body = Select the breed, select the color, etc....

Then, we could implement a clickable search system so user who find the pet could log into the Showcase and click the color "brown" and all pets with "brown" would be listed.

Then to isolate further, the user could click "Lab", and the result would only list Brown Labs.

Using the example here on this site....

While you have categories Chevy....

It would be nice to provide users drop-downs to select specific items...

Perhaps, Turbo-Charged or Manual, etc...

Then you click build an interface that user could select "Turbo-Charged" and all Showcased Turbo-Charged cars could be listed.

Further... Ignoring the integrated search/filter concept - it would simply be nice to make user fill out a templated entry so you can enforce some sore of organizational format.

Just an idea...

Upvote 7
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
you CAN do this, but it takes some manual edits of code and templates along with creating the fields. One thing that I have on the "Concepts" column on my white board for showcase is custom fields (similar to how XF has custom fields for users, it would be like that for categories). I haven't even began to look into this tho and probably won't until other planned functionality (like category permissions for example) is completed. It IS something that I'd like to have eventually tho :)

Might be a tricky one, but as I use some drop down and radio options it makes sense to me (if no one else).

It wold be very awesome (for me) if it were possible to sort items based on custom fields, then especially fixed selection ones (drop downs, radios and check boxes). In essence, it would behave kinda like thread prefixes, but for custom fields.

I think you mean Filter (not Sort)?

Filtering is like when you click on a Prefix narrowing down the full result set, but it is still sorted by date (for example).

So you may have a vehicle category MUSTANG and you want to FILTER by a custom field called color so that it bring up only Black Mustangs. They will still be Sorted by Most Recent (or Top Rated or Most Popular or Latest Updates or Alphabetical) as those are the item sort types.

Yeah, filtering would probably describe it better. Basically working like thread prefixes when you click on them

I'll mark this as "considered" as Advanced Filtering is something that I have on my long range plans for the addon, however, it won't be soon.

Would love to see this implemented as it would help users discover items. A use case for me is when using showcase to act as a database of video games:

Filter by genre and/or platform meaning the user might be looking for Linux compatible games under the genre Action & Adventure. Or Windows & Mac platforms under the genre RTS.

This could also be similar for other items such as vehicles, books, movies, music etc. It would help discovery and searching.

Would love to see this implemented as it would help users discover items. A use case for me is when using showcase to act as a database of video games:

Filter by genre and/or platform meaning the user might be looking for Linux compatible games under the genre Action & Adventure. Or Windows & Mac platforms under the genre RTS.

This could also be similar for other items such as vehicles, books, movies, music etc. It would help discovery and searching.
Looking for this as well.

Hoping for this one to be implemented soon too, but searching custom fields is higher on my priority list.

Altho its not "Filtering" in the sense that you click a button and the results change, but you CAN use the new Field Search to get very specific result sets. I needed to get that part done and working before I could start on Filtering (as they are similar, but the search one really drives it).

With the addition of prefix, rating, and type filtering in 2.2 I would love to see this filter feature expanded to include selected custom field options.

I just had an awesome idea for Showcase @Bob :)

Custom field filtering similar how the do it in Amazon would be an awesome feature that would really make Showcase even more powerful.

The search by custom fields is great right now but it is unfortunately a little hidden and not right there in the user's face. It's not even the first thing users see when they click on "search items"... you need to click on another tab to see it. This means only a minority of users will ever know the amazing custom field search and filtering functions that Showcase has.

Instead it would be awesome to have a filtering column on the side like the do it on Amazon:

Screenshot 2015-10-31 at 11.03.49 AM.png
Screenshot 2015-10-31 at 11.08.51 AM.png

It would allow you to filter the items by the custom fields right there... It would be right there in the user's face and there's no way anyone would miss the great search capabilities that Showcase has.

It would be an amazing feature and I hope you like and are inspired by this idea because it would bring Showcase from a 10 to an 11. :)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2015-10-31 at 11.05.17 AM.png
    Screenshot 2015-10-31 at 11.05.17 AM.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 4
Okay - 2.x is going to be a major XF rewrite huh?
Showcase 3.0 will be based on XF 2.0, so yes. I've had SC 3.0 planned now since XF 2.0 was announced. Its the perfect time to do a major rewrite.

In the meantime, is there a way that I can put the contents of the current advanced search tab into a widget I can put on the side?
No. You'd have to develop a specific RENDER for it as there is programming code involved, so an HTML widget with some template code won't work.

Here's hoping this widget can get in 2.6.0? :)

Here's hoping this widget can get in 2.6.0? :)
SC 2.5.1 includes a Custom Field Search widget that you can use until more direct filtering is added.

NOTE: When I say "widget", I am referring to a Renderer for the [bd] Widget Framework. Showcase doesn't have any "widgets" itself.

Back